• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using UPS to ship to Canada - Brokerage Fees?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satandole666

I recently sold an item on eBay for ~$400. The customer is in Canada and we worked out a shipping arrangement beforehand.

So I ship the package to him via UPS. Now I have a notice on my eBay account where the guy had to pay $82 in "brokerage fees" to accept the package. He's ****ed off at me and I'm sure to get negative feedback for it...but I had no clue.

So...what's the brokerage fee stuff? Why is a guy getting charged $82 for me to ship a package to him? Does UPS always do this? He claims he told me to send it USPS but I have a message from him that says UPS and one that says USPS. I just went with whatever what cheapest (UPS) and now I am the bad guy apparently. What can I do to get this $82 from UPS to keep this guy happy?

Argh...

EDIT: I should've said that I declared the value of the item as the amount he paid for it (what he won the auction for). I'm guessing that is what they based the $82 off of.

that UPS for ya..if you ever ship to canada use USPS!!!!!
basically, its like a 20% tax..

Yes. Always. I got screwed over by that once. Never ship cross border using anything other than basic government mail.

UPS Ground does this, UPS express is customs cleared so no brokerage fee's... But nobody will pay $80 shipping when you can get ground for $10 (plus $80 brokerage/tax)

I bought some computer parts from a friend from US (Im in Canada), he shipped it via UPS and when it arrived at my door, they asked for $147. And I'm like GTFO. Called them and told them to send it back to the sender. Then for the next week and a half, they didnt do anythign with it, just holding on to it. Then all of a sudden they come to my door again but don't ask for any fees this time :) although the slip with the brokerage fees and stuff was on the package. Guess they didint want to send it back because it would cost them a lot.

Back