• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need Mobo for Q6600. either P35 or nForce 680i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desperado84

I just got the Q6600 at frys for under $200 with Mobo, but the bundled mobo sucks, so i need to get one quickly (in the next few days)
thinking of the following

ABIT IN9 32X-MAX LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
it's only $130 after rebate
now that the nForce is similar price to the P35, is it a good deal?

i see most recommend
ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
or
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
or
ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
or
ABIT IP35 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

They're all at a very similar price.
Any recommendations?
I run Ubuntu Linux all the time except for when i play games :) (still need to find an 8800GT 512mb in stock!!!)
please explain why one is better than the other.
I haven't checked yet if i have the G0 stepping or not. is it just written on top of the heat spreader?

thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
i don't plan on doing SLI, i'm responsible with my money :)
so P35 it is!
so, what's the difference between the aforementioned P35 Mobo's ?
I've always been a fan of Asus. Never used Abit. I like that the Asus has Wifi, which would be handy. I probably won't overclock much. If i find out I have a G0 i may do a few 100mhz, but this is my only machine, so i really don't need risk/trouble

aBit wont let you down. It's a proven product and will serve you well. Resistance is futile.

k.
i'm thinking of getting either the ASUS P5K-E or the ABIT IP35 Pro.
there just doesn't seem to be much of a difference.
only thing i can tell is Abit has HDA audio, and Asus has Wifi (i don't care about dual lan, or dual pci express 16x)

could someone tell me why one is better than the other?

I've read about some problems with the P5K-E I think, but then again asus has so many similar numbers and letters and crap...bah.

Look at this though (and this is just a rough guage) the P5K only has 81 reviews, and it's 69% positive. The IP35 pro has 239 reviews and 81% positive. That right there should tell you something, just based on word-of-mouth purchase influence. You can sort through the newegg reviews for any given item and get what you're looking for, but it does take some filtering to get rid of the morons. This is all subjective though...I'm not very objective at 2AM LOL.

If you want to know what I think as a quad overclocker and IP35 Pro owner, then I'll say I love this system. I do feel I could push it further if I had a different board with stronger power regulation, but it would be an X38 board in the ~240 dollar range, and I'm not going to go that high on the mobo. That was my choice, but given what you posted, I would stick with the IP35 Pro again.

I'd personally go with the Abit Quad Gt because I'm a gamer and want to get a new flagship card so I know that it will be guaranteed to work on Pci-E 2.0. There is no announcement on if the next flagship cards will be powered at all on the Pci-E 1.1. Pci-E 2.0 is backwards compatible like the 8800GT but, that card isn't a powerhouse that requires 2 connectors like the 8800GTX even though the GTX is a bigger nm that naturally requires more juice. Chances are that a newer flagship will be just as demanding and will require 2 power connectors as well as the additional 75w at the slot that the 1.1 doesn't have.

I just wish they would announce something cause still there is no word on their release. It's all up in the air.

I have now had 4 diff p35 boards as well as 2 diff 680i boards and IMO the asus p5k is without a doubt my fav. It had the absolutely zero problems from the moment I opened the box till it was installed. I find this rare with mobos. Although I do feel that the pencil vdroop mod is needed if you want any decent clocks out of it as the vdroop was killer without the mod. Out of the boards you mentioned I have all 3 and would rate them: (and no I am not an asus fanboy, this is actually the first asus board ive actualy liked lol)

1)asus p5k
2)abit ip35
3)giga p35

Thanks. I ended up going for the Asus.
It was cheaper, no rebate and had Wifi, and I've always liked Asus boards.
Just as I ordered it, I heard about the new nForce 780i
If only i'd held out for the Q9450 Penryn like I was planning....

Back