• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-P35-DS3L +Quad Q6600 -please help me pick out RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pup Trainer

Hello folks!
Going to build a machine and go with a the GA-P35-DS3L and give it a Q6600 cpu despite some of "the hick-ups" I have read about this board.

I really want this to run nice and clock it a bit to at least 3GHz...I have built quite a few machines, but I am not the brightest bulb when it comes to a few things! The first 2 that jump out is overclocking and ram..in fact I will admit I am just plain RAM STUPID, so please feel free to flame, but feel free to help me as well....please?

I really need help with picking out my memory for this new unit, and what i need to know is...Should I go with DDR2 1066 or DDR2 800 with this mobo and cpu combo? I know the 800 is really cheap right now, but if I will gain a lot and be more stable with 1066, then that is the way I will go. As I said, I want to clock the Q6600 to around 3GHz, and from what I have read, it does not seem like that will be any problem at all, I just want this thing to be fast and stable as possible. Any advice from you guys in trying to help me configure this and me getting a better understanding would be great!

Also, I am not going to install a 64 bit O.S....Sticking with 32 bit XP PRO for now, so will I be hurting or helping this adventure by putting 4x1 (4)gigs of ram in this system?

Most likely going with a GeForce 8800GT card aleady have a brand new Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER 700W PSU(on sale+40 buck rebate plus a gift certificate from frys i have been sitting on for a year, got it for almost nothing out of my pocket) as well if that makes any diff to the thought proces here.

I really appreciate any help and /or direction you folks could give me! Thanks!

...what could possibly go wrong....

I'd like to help you but I don't know. I can tell you that I have just built a new rig with the same mobo and processor, G0 stepping. I used the DDR2-800 ram, 2x1 gig OCZ ram but may change it out with some Corsaire DDR2-800 that I have. I'm runnig WinXP MCE, which is 32 bit. I used a 550 watt Antec. Maxtor 300 gig HD. Sony DRU-835A DVD recorder.

I have not attempted overclocking yet because I'm looking for a cpu temp monitor for this board. I'm ready to start after I find one.

I have already built it, so I'm curious. What hick-ups have you read about?

did you check...

what Gigabyte suggests?

if so make sure you take note what ur MB REV stamp is (stamped on the MB lower left corner I think).

Your MB is either REV 1.x or REV 2.0, but the memory support list may be the same for both... I didn't check.

then do ur research on memory some place that offers customer reviews like newegg

hope that helped

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 231
Thanks, and yea I have checked Gigabyte's site for there suggested memory list. I was just thinking maybe someone with this board has has had great results with a certain brand or configuration might be able to help :)

Also am still curious about trying to run 4 gigs in this under 32 bit XP PRO...I did hear from one guy who loves this board, and suggested to go with 2 sticks of 2gig DDR2 800. He said he has seen people having problems with this board filling all 4 banks up, so to try 2 sticks of 2 gig insted....I dont know....

Anyway, thanks for the replies!!!

I would suggest using DDR2 800. If you are going to use a Q6600 cpu it has a fsb of 266 (1066 quad pump). So you could take the cpu fsb up to 400 and the DDR2 800 memory would just be at stock speed at 1:1 divider setting. Any fsb less than 400 (with 1:1 divider) will run your memory less than DDR2 800. There is no point in getting 1066 memory. You would be wasting your money on more expensive DDR2 1066.

I like the Ballistix PC2-6400 (DDR2 800). If you go over 400 fsb on the cpu then the Ballistix will overclock well also.

As far as 4 gig of ram. Windows XP won't utilize that much ram. I don't remember the exact amount of ram you can utilize in XP, but I think it is around 3 gig and if I recall correctly, that includes the memory on you vid card. Unless you are going to go to Vista latter, you again would be wasting your money buying too much ram. If you plan to go with Vista 64 latter, then go ahead and get 4 gig of ram, but get 2 2-gig sticks. Patriot has some nice 2-gig sticks.

Last edited:
I went with Kingston Hyperx KHX9200D2K2 (the 1g kit) they say it runs at 1150mhz @ 2v
Acording to gigabytes "easytune5" my mem is running at 990 @ 2.10v, but I don't believe it...I think I have it running at 499mhz atm.
Anyhow, I am very happy with my ram...what you want is ram that is known to have the D9 chips. Mine has the Micron D9GMH chips which are clocking very well even on the cheapest sticks.
Hope this helps
Rod

I went with Kingston Hyperx KHX9200D2K2 (the 1g kit) they say it runs at 1150mhz @ 2v
Acording to gigabytes "easytune5" my mem is running at 990 @ 2.10v, but I don't believe it...I think I have it running at 499mhz atm.
Anyhow, I am very happy with my ram...what you want is ram that is known to have the D9 chips. Mine has the Micron D9GMH chips which are clocking very well even on the cheapest sticks.
Hope this helps
Rod

If you are at 3.0 GHz on your cpu, what is your multiplier and fsb? What does cpuz say your memory is running?

@doc
run cpuz to get the ram speed...

@Oz
he is more then likly running the stock 9x multi at a 333.33fsb for 3ghz... with either a 1.20/1.25/1.5x multi on the ram ratio for the gigabyte board.

Thanks you guiys for your input...please keep this alive, more questions on the way

I want to thank you folks for the advice im getting, learning stuff real quick because of it...

Another question i have is, i guess i really dont have a "NEED" for the quad, so do you folks think i should go with a faster DUO or will i be better off with a quad in the longer run?

really just going to be using it for some games, and girlfriend plays EVERQUEST 2 as well. will be ripping some and encoding some DVDs as well, but nothing too hard core thats for sure.

another thing i need advice on is what you folks think the best way for me to go as far as junking the stock heatsink and going with something really nice..do not want to go with a watercooled set up :)

again, many thanks for the input!

Last edited:
well with encodeing the quad is the only way... if you were just gaming then i would say the faster clocked dual core. if you can handle a bit higher encoding times take the faster dually for your games... i would ask what do you do more gaming or encoding?

games fully using quads is still early, the only game that show big gains for a quad core is Lost planet with a 8800GTX.

Back