• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning my first H2O setup, whatda think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good choices, not so sure about the Fuzion GPU block havent heard much about it myself.

If you have the space get an MCR320. The cost difference is tiny (£5/$10) and although the 220 will cool CPU and GPU, you wont have much overhead and your temps wont be that great with a GTX in the loop.

Since you're using GPU only blocks, you will need some RAM sinks, for RAM aswell as Mosfets and PWMs.

I chose the 220 because I was wanting to keep everything internal in my case, and I have 2 120mm exhaust fans and the MCR220 should fit there perfectly.

Ive got some sinks and stuff on the GPU already, I have the VF1000 with the HR-88 sink setup that comes with it, so I was going to reuse that as for the sinks.

If you guys dont think the 220 will cool them both really good, I havnt fully decided to put the GPU in the loop, and I could just leave it with the CPU, as thats what Im really looking to get a good OC on anyways.

Also, what other blocks would you recomend for the GPU other than the Fuzion.

Surely you guys must have some more advice for a first time H20 system for me.

Also, I was thinking about backboning another 120mm rad and fan on the back of the MCR220, to gain a little bit of extra cooling since Id be cooling the GTX as well. My thinking is that it would give me the same surface area of cooling as if using a MCR320 but Id be able to fit it all in my case.

You guys think that would work?

Your talking about 3+ fans on that 1 rad? Still going to be warm with the GTX.

Actually, Im talking about 2 rads, 1 MCR220, and 1 MCR120, with the MCR120 mounted to the back of the MCR220, with fans mounted both sides of the 220 on the bottom and one on the case side on top, then the MCR120, with a fan mounted to the back of the 120. Follow?, lol its kinda hard to describe what Im thinking.

i believe he means like this

fan|MCR120|case|fan|MCR220|fan

paint picture :)
radok9.jpg

great system though if you buy/built it. i would upgrade the 220 to a 320 or do what you want to do, 120 and 220.

if you do do your setup the way in the picture i would order 2 rad box's, or make your own to put a space between the two rads so you don't have the hot/warm air from the 220 affecting the performance of the 120 rad.

Last edited:
your best bet is to use a mcr320... when watercooling... case mods should never be out of the question i believe for the best performance

Roger guys, so stacking them isnt the best idea. Ill have to see if I can find some way to cram a 320 in there then. Here, Ill post some pics of my system so you guys can see what kind of room I got to work with and what maybe I can mod and change to get it to work.
This is a pic with the old 7950GT still in it.
IMG_4977.jpg

i would put a 220 in the rear and a 120 on the bottom of the case, just make sure there is room under the case for air flow.

i was going to go with those two rads but was told a 320 was better, less resistance. i will just mount it on the top of my case with 6 yate loons, i like the look.

Maybe use some Sanyo Denkis instead of 6 fans, maybe only 3? Might be a lot of noise and i've never had luck with fan stacking either.

Your case has lots of room for mods though. I would like to see it when its done for sure.

The Fuzion GPU block is a very, very restrictive block. They made a fantastic CPU block, but the GPU block is just too restrictive. The Swiftech MCW60 is really the best way to go for the GPU.

From the looks of your case, you could either top mount a triple rad, or do the suggested dual rad in the rear and a single or dual rad in the bottom. It doesn't look like you are planning on using the bottom PCI slot anyway.

One single triple rad is really the easiest way to go for routing tubing, but if you want to stay in the case, then a two rad setup may work for you.

If you are going to get the MCP655, the vario is nice in that you can slow it down to quiet it down a bit. My personal favorite is the MCP350 with Petras top as it gives you the same or almost he same performance as the MCP655 at 12v, but at 24-26db vs the 34db rating of the MCP655. To so people this noise difference matters, to others it doesn't. (I hate PC noise so to me it matters).

Res or t-line is a matter of preference. I have used both and prefer the res as it is easier to work with to me. The Microres is a good res.

Thanks Voigts, Ill go with the Swiftech MCW60 then on the GPU block.

I really wanna keep it all in the case, so I think Ive decided Im gonna do the Dual rad on the back with a single on the bottom. And yea, as far as noise Im not to worried about it, case has 8 fans already and sounds like a hurricane so no biggie lol, to me, sounds means its working lol.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think yall helped me finalize how Im gonna do it now. Now, I will certainly post up pics when I get it all built and done.

Back