• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling an Athlon 64 x2 5200 am2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liam_Drien

Registered
Alright as the title says I just upgraded my system with everything even purchased a server tower and did some work to it as it was cheaper than buying the case I wanted. I've got roughly 600-750 I can spend for cooling. I'm also running an ati hd 2600xt 512 meg card. I have tons of room in this case as I'm only running one hard drive and my dvd burner is external. Right now my temps run 40 c idle and up close to 50 c at full load. I would like to see these drop by at least 5 degrees celsius if not more. I'm needing best bang for my 600-750 dollars or less and where to find the parts to put together a full system to cool cpu, vid card and nb/sb (not sure if these can be cooled by wc'ing as I don't have experience with it just throwing it out there). Any help is greatly appreciated.

You bought AMD and have $750 for cooling o.o....

MCR320-QP
Apogee GT
2600XT ???
NB/SB - HR-05

You bought AMD and have $750 for cooling o.o....

I doubt that has anything to do with his proc choice, you can switch to other builds using the same setup if you use universal blocks.

Try going to http://www.dangerden.com And look at the options they give you.

What cooling do you have right now? Stock or do you have something else? When I went from stock to water I dropped from 40*C idle to 26*C, and about 40*C load, so I'd say if you go with a good system (looking at $200-300 bucks) you could cool everything with more than a 5*C drop.

I'd say look at the items I am using and compare they to the others on dangerden. Come back when you have a few picked out that you need help deciding on :beer:

Actually I bought the cpu and memory new from the egg and the board is a hand me down heh but yeah I have roughly 750 I can still drop into the system. I've contemplated upgrading the video card to the 2900 version of what I have and just wanted to fit the water cooling part in first. Thanks for the suggestions I will do that. Right now I'm running a scythe ninja mini on the cpu I have 2 120's in the side blowing in a 120 in the top and 2 80's in the back blowing out. I use this system for a myriad of things be it doing pp presentations to blowing stuff up on bioshock or gears of war...The 200-300 dollars would even let me upgrade video card I believe. Thanks for the fast replies.

Just got done looking at danger den would you recommend a system they have set in a bundle or picking components separately?

Last edited:
I went with the Custom kit, it's basically a guided kit that you specify what you need. I'd recommend the TDX CPU block with a universal top because those are always nice to re-use. 1/2 fittings with 1/2 Tygon tubing, D-5 Pump, your choice and size of radiator depending on if you pick to cool your video cards as well.

do a build on the custom kits and show us what you're thinking about.

This is what I came up with. Again thanks for the help.
Selected options:
CPU Style: AM2
CPU Water Block: Danger Den TDX
Top Style: Lucite - Clear
Video Block: MAZE5 GPU(4-hole mount)
Chipset Block: None
Fitting Size: 1/2 OD High Flow Fitting for 1/2 ID Tubing
Radiator: Black Ice Pro - Black
Fans: 2x Yate Loon Medium 120mm
Pumps: DD 12V D5 1/2 OD Fittings "Fixed Speed"
Tubing: 10 Feet of Tygon
Reservoir: Danger Den HDPE Reservoir
Reservoir LED: None
Thermal Paste: None
Water Additives: MCT-40 Non-Conductive Fluid
DD Fillport: None
Fillport Reservoir: None
Misc: 12 Hose Clamps
I figure I can do without the chipset cooling and I have ac 5 here if I really need the paste. I can make a fillport fairly easily so I don't need that. Please let me know what you think of the suggestions. With this I can still buy the video card I'm wanting to get which is an upgrade to mine. It's here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121073

Looks good, I can say that the MCT-40 isn't the greatest coolant available, FluidXP is a good choice.

I'm not too sure if that radiator will be good enough for a CPU/GPU cooling, but maybe some of the other people here can verify that.

Alright I can switch it to FluidXP then. If it's not I will see about changing the radiator also hopefully get some more feedback. Thanks again for the help.

First setup for me should be interesting for sure. I can't honestly say how much room it will save me because I have all 5 fans wires tied together and hidden in the case. The case is large enough though so we shall see. I bought it for it's size it's tall enough I use it for a mouse and arm rest so...I've been told I'm being silly on the temps because they are low for the system but I'm not comfortable unless they are lower plus I want to try to oc the cpu and get a hotter running video card so..thanks again for the help. If I can find the pics of the case I will post them but it seems imageshack lost them and I can't find my camera...

Here is what I would recommend getting:

D-Tek Fuzion CPU WB
Swiftech MCW60-R VGA cooler with some Ramsinks
MCP655 Pump
ThermoChill PA120.3 Radiator (or Swiftech MCP320 if price is an issue)
Swiftech MCRES or a T-line
Tygon 1/2" ID 3/4" OD or 7/16" ID 5/8" OD
Worm driven hose clamps
Coolant: 5-10% antifreeze with distilled water and a few drops of iodine.

Back