• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can anyone help me build the perfect watercooling setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bhu11

Registered
Can anyone help me build the perfect watercooling setup I have an Q6600 and 2 geforce 8800gt s thanks guys
Every one says not to buy a kit but I wouldn't know how to build my own because I don't know which is the best item

thanks guys

Im not sure it kinda depens on what i get for it, if I feel like im gettin my moneys worth
I wouldn't want to spend 300 on 120 mm radiator
pump and cpu block

but then again if there like a extreemly good top of the line cpu block rad and pump then I might consider it

Last edited:
Do you plan on running it externally or can your case fit the setup internally? If you plan on cooling those 8800's then I would recommend a dual loop or at least two rads.

Apogee GT (or GTX)
Swiftech MCP655
Black Ice X-Flow ProIII
Swiftech Micro-Res
7/16" Tubing
80% Distilled water, 20% Antifreeze

Should cost around 200$, you can add GPU blocks and another RAD once a good 8800GT block comes out (I don't actually know if the GTS/GTX blocks fit on the GT)

Do you plan on running it externally or can your case fit the setup internally? If you plan on cooling those 8800's then I would recommend a dual loop or at least two rads.

it doesn't really mater to me I am planing on atleast having the radiators on the out side of the case

Apogee GT (or GTX)
Swiftech MCP655
Black Ice X-Flow ProIII
Swiftech Micro-Res
7/16" Tubing

Should cost around 200$, you can add GPU blocks and another RAD once a good 8800GT block comes out (I don't actually know if the GTS/GTX blocks fit on the GT)

Thanks for your help
I herd that the swiftech blocks had a corrosion problem is this true also im planing on overclocking and have an sli motherboard do you think I should get cooling blocks for the sli chipsets as well?

Thanks for your help
I herd that the swiftech blocks had a corrosion problem is this true also im planing on overclocking and have an sli motherboard do you think I should get cooling blocks for the sli chipsets as well?

Corrosion problems are only with the apogee GTX with the aluminum top when you don't use corrosion inhibitors. Theres a huge thread over XS about this. If you're going sli then its probably a good idea to run a chipset cooler, but then again it depends on the board. Heres my recommendation for parts:

D-tek fuzion CPU
2x Swiftech MCR320
2x MCW60
MCP655/D5 (you can run two or one depending if you want dual loops)
MCW30

Also it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Apogee GTnot good for quads (or GTX)
Swiftech MCP655
Black Ice X-Flow ProIII swiftech and or thermochill are better
Swiftech Micro-Res
7/16" Tubing

Thanks for your help

the GTX has had some problems but not the GT. if you like the look of the GTX but don't want to worry about corrsion then you can get the copper top

Corrosion problems are only with the apogee GTX with the aluminum top when you don't use corrosion inhibitors. Theres a huge thread over XS about this. If you're going sli then its probably a good idea to run a chipset cooler, but then again it depends on the board. Heres my recommendation for parts:

D-tek fuzion CPU
2x Swiftech MCR320
2x MCW60
MCP655/D5 (you can run two or one depending if you want dual loops)
MCW30

Also it all depends on how much you want to spend.

i second that, though i don't think you need two 3x120mm rads.

here is a full setup, minus water, and clamps that i will be getting either before march or in march.

Last edited:
Apogee GT (or GTX)
Swiftech MCP655
Black Ice X-Flow ProIII
Swiftech Micro-Res
7/16" Tubing

You dont need anywhere near that much antifreeze in your coolant, 5% is sufficient in a non mixed metal loop.

I wouldnt bother with the GTX due to corrosion issues, go with a Fuzion if you want a good block for quads.

Thanks for all the help guys is this a good coolant I want a non conductive one just in case I get a leek
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6...ith_z7_-_UV_Midnight_Blue.html?tl=c103s184b47

also is this a good reservoir http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...120X_Reservoir_LARGE_-_UV_BLUE.html?tl=g30c97

Do not get FluidXP. It will leave a residue in your components. I have yet to see an argument that has even come close to persuading me to get anything from distilled water. DW is about as close as your going to get to non-conductive. Just add what ever additives you prefer(pentosin, anti-freeze, petraside, dys etc) If you really want a commercial solution I have heard some decent things about Hydrx, I believe it is made by swiftech.

Oh and I have no clue as to that reservoir. i have never ran across anyone else that has used it. I would recommend going with the swiftech microres.

Not worth trying non conductive coolant, if anything leaks it will still be conductive.

ya if you really tight on money i would much rather spend the extra on quality parts vs coolant. 95% distilled water and 5% anti freeze or the swiftech hydrX stuff is what i would/will go with.

I'm sorry but this kind of "spoon feed me" thread irritates me. This type of thing is asked over and over and over and over again. You need to spend a few minutes searching and reading so that you come up with a setup that is right for you regardless of what people suggest. I.E, that performance-pcs sample list is overpriced and can be had for less, and it has Clearflex 60 tubing which clouds like crazy.

There is no "perfect" setup. There is nothing wrong at all with being new to this, but YOU have to do some research yourself if you want to get a setup that is right for you. It is apparent to me that you haven't even read 5 minutes worth to ask the right questions. How much is noise a concern of yours? What kind of case are we talking about here? Do you need to have rads mounted internally only, or can you top or bottom mount a triple rad? What is your budget? How are you going to drain your setup? Do you really want to go with a res or a t-line? Do you know the pros/cons of each?

There are a lot of options out there, and you need to decide what you want your setup to do and look at the options.

Back