• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad P3 Xeon Slotted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ccb056

Ive got a server with 4 slotted P3 Xeon CPUs which I want to watercool.

Been trying to find some waterblocks and from what I can see, no one makes waterblocks for slotted CPUs.

So, I am considering using a normal socket cpu waterblock and using some Arctic Silver adhesive to glue the waterblock to the socket.

However, these CPUs are stacked very close together, with 3/4 to 1 inch clearance, so I'm looking for some thin waterblocks, less than 1 inch thick.

Any suggestions?

You could try using some Maze 4 GPU blocks, or get the 1U Apogee instead. They both are low-clearance, the apogee by design. Let us see a pic if you manage it :D

The maze 4 would probably be the best and i too know how close those babies are together we got a couple of tri xeon pent 3 servers for tinkering with in our cisco class but sadly we arnt able to overclock them

Honestly I think it would be cheaper, considering both hardware and electicity usage, to sell them and get a newer dual/quad core system. Even a lower-end P3 will be using a good 50 watts, and do a small fraction of work per watt vs a core2duo. I could understand things like redundancy since its a server board, but its also ancient by now, in terms of MTBF.

That said, you may want to do the old-fasioned custom block. Get 4 copper blocks, drill 4+ larger holes lengthwise in them (90% through), plug the ends, then drill a hole on either side perpindicular to connect them all, then tap the holes & add a barb.

Email DangerDen and see what they have lying around - they USED to make them...
Good point, theres a good possibility they have old stock just taking up space. If you're lucky they may be nice enough to dig it out for you :)

ot; nice to see you posting on OCF recently Marci, used to only see you over at XS.

Back