• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC Temps high :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spion

Well i finally got my WC setup all put together and i'm having some problems :(

My setup contains as follows:
Swiftech Storm
Swiftech MCR220
Swiftech MCP600
7/16in Masterclear
Brass Tline (3x1/2in) with 1/2 tubing from Theisen's on the top.

As of right now at stock i'm getting loads around 65c :mad:

i bought the storm and MCP600 here on the forums. I'm thinking that the jets on the storm could be clogged. There is no air is the loop so far as i can tell. i've tilted and shook it every which way and no more air comes out. right now i'm running 100% distilled water until my additives arrive. The block gets hot when i put it under load leaving me to believe there is some sort of flow problem.

Can you guys give me a little advice :) Thanks

edit: oh the specs of the system are the 1st one in my sig. Firesplitter. Temps are from coretemp.

Mobo - Epox 9npa+ Ultra
CPU - Opteron 165 @ 2.7GHz 1.4v CCB1E 0609 (300x9) | TT Big Typhoon
Memory - 2gig (2x1) OCZ @ DDR450
Video Card - PNY 8800GTS 640MB | Samsung 730b
Hard Drive - Maxtor Diamodmax10 200gig and 300gig | Western Digital 320gig
Case - Cheiftec Dragon Workstation
PSU - Sunbeam NUUO 550wat

drop a couple of drops of ink or dye and see what happens, if there is not flow, which sounds like the problem, then take apart the storm and check.

i assume you have everything hooked up in the right spot.

yeah, i have the outlet from the pump going into the middle barb on the storm. I'll see if i can find some dye tonight. Thanks for the tip.

Q
You check for any air pockets?
A
There is no air is the loop so far as i can tell. i've tilted and shook it every which way and no more air comes out.

you could try to remount the block
yes if the dye or what ever coloured liquid, that won't harm the insides, mixed fast or quickly i would then try to remount.

if you still have some of that dye/ink left over try bing's idea, grab a sheet of glass and see how flat the block is and cpu are. if there not very flat, time for a lap!

-Are you sure there are no kinks in the tubing?

Last build I made had a very slight kink in one bend and putting a single ziptie to rectify it took 8-10c off.

-Pump is actually pushing water?

Damaged impaler, shaft, bearing could be killing your flow and with the storm being that restrictive it could be finishing the job.

-Second hand storm could have been taken apart by previous owner but not put together correctly.

In a storm it is entirely possible to put some of the plate the wrong way and kill the flow enough to have no effective cooling but still be able to bleed system.

if you still have some of that dye/ink left over try bing's idea, grab a sheet of glass and see how flat the block is and cpu are. if there not very flat, time for a lap!

It was stated that under load the block gets hot so the cpu/block contact is sufficiant, IMO the problem is elsewhere.

-Depending on pump/rad position it is possible to have air trapped.

In my loop even if the system seems fully bleed(no more air bubble traveling in the tubing) I still have a bubble trapped in my Iwaki pump, I need to rotate the whole case 90 degrees to get it out. I know it's a long shot but you never know until you tried

If you think the jets may be clogged, then take it apart and clean it. Its just that simple. Go from the easiest to the hardest. I hate to say it, but it really should be a given that you clean new parts before you install them, to include brand new parts. That way you don't have to take things apart to do so.

It is unlikely that an air bubble is going to cause that much of a temp problem.

You also can have an issue with the Storm and the IHS. The Storm really isn't designed for IHS CPUs, and if your IHS is really curved, it can hurt your performance, but still shouldn't by that much.

You also can simply have a bad mount with too much or not enough TIM.

Well thanks for all the suggestions but so far i've tried almost everything except cleaning the storm and checking base flatness (which does not appear to be the issue due to the block getting hot).

I've rotated the case every possible direction and shook it to get out any air bubbles. There are NO kinks in the tubing. Most of my air bubbles get trapped in the radiator due to how the loop is setup. I'm am confident that i've gotten over 95% of the air bubbles out and anything that is left is in the radiator.

I've re-mounted the block several times, cleaning with 91% alcohol and reapplying paste. the amount of thermal paste i have been putting on is just slightly more than needed to spread all the way across the IHS using the BB method.

The pump is pumping well also, i tested it before i put it in the loop so it should be fine. I don't plan on removing the IHS for a little while more. My goal right now is just to get temps lower than that i was getting with my big typhoon.

as soon as i get back from class i'm going to take the storm apart and clean it up. Hopefully the storm is horridly clogged lol

at load i got around 50c OCed to 2.7GHz. So 65c load at stock is quite a big difference.

Before you take your loop apart, please post a pic of your setup.

Just to clarify, the INLET of the mcp600 is in the center, the outlet is pointed up (if the pump were sitting on it's base on the table).

permanent-installation.jpg

What fans are you using on the rad?

Before you take your loop apart, please post a pic of your setup.

Just to clarify, the INLET of the mcp600 is in the center, the outlet is pointed up (if the pump were sitting on it's base on the table).

http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/MCP600/permanent-installation.jpg

What fans are you using on the rad?
yes, i am fully aware of the inlet/outlet of the pump ;) pics can be posted once i get home to work on it. The fans i have on the radiator are just a couple of 120mm zalmans i picked up at a computer shop. They're somewhere around 75cfm. That should be plenty of airflow for this radiator.

I should have time to clean the jets tonight to see if thats the problem.

I cleaned opened up the block and i definably found the problem. About 3/4 of the jets were clogged. I cleaned it up and re-mounted it and i'm getting 35c load OCed to 2.7GHz. Very nice improvement over my air cooling. Thanks for your help everyone :beer:

Glad to see you got it in working order.

What was causing the clog? Do you use any additives?

Well as of right now the only thing in the loop is distilled water. I'm going to add additives later in the week. Since this was my first w/c build i just wanted to make sure i did everything right before i put any additives in. I bought the storm used and didn't think to clean it before i installed it. I'm not sure what exactly was clogging it. all i know is its gone and my cpu couldn't be happier. A lesson lived is a lesson learned :beer:

Back