• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardware Deep Freeze...(what box?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionlion82

Ed Knocked it out of the park with this article.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips01251/

the bottom line is this:

we have 3 or 4 more years before hardware stalls for a while!
(a while meaning enough to matter to most people)

i have two points to extrapolate:

Specialty software aside, we are about to face a software crunch.
+++ hardware stalls for a while and software HAS to catch up.
(praise the closest holy thing you got! its about time!)

meanwhile:

overclocking is going to see a MAJOR second wind when this happens!
overclockers mount up! its coming.

...dont fall for the candy and polish hardware when this happens.
the newest and biggest yet - will be a disguise for the same old turd.
how much polish can one of those take before you have to go back and overclock like a decade before?

the future holds a born again overclocking moovement - and better software.
in a sea of turds that might just start to drown the hardware makers.

its up to us and the software guys.
the software guys handed us half the bargian - as they have been for a while now.

were on top of it - and as long as the software guys do their thing, well do ours and the turds wont matter too much.

so... you are saying that we still got 3 years left?

3 or 4 years untill overclocking makes a HUGE difference.
3 or 4 years before the software guys step up.
3 or 4 years of the same old thing untill it gets fun and interesting again.

the same old thing is going to turn around.

a few years from now well have good software and good overclocking, instead of drifting like we have been...

no kidden!
allmost all modern hardware is "hey thats pretty good!"

and the software is all "awwww, you gotta be kidden me!"

it cant go on like this...

Software does need to catch up, but I also think there are gains to be found in fab technologies or even in basic architecture. Software needs to be able to utilize the newest hardware for the hardware to actually be useful.

Also, peripherals will start to advance I think. OLEDs, paper thin/flexible screens, even brain control for certain things, will definitely see advances. I think it's just a cooling off period, we can't be expecting this speed increase to hold up much longer.

Software does need to catch up, but I also think there are gains to be found in fab technologies or even in basic architecture. Software needs to be able to utilize the newest hardware for the hardware to actually be useful.

Also, peripherals will start to advance I think. OLEDs, paper thin/flexible screens, even brain control for certain things, will definitely see advances. I think it's just a cooling off period, we can't be expecting this speed increase to hold up much longer.

thats all great, but with software turds like weve had for the last half decade, hardware will matter less and less.

we caint even use what we have now because of the software!

that junk is about to stop; software right now is so horrible it cant go on forever.

there will be a software revolution followed by a hardware (and overclocking) revolution.

forget about hardware untill software comes around. mark my words.

and seven good buddy! - our current hardware makes windows 98 a dream.
its a decade old now.

XP STILL is too much of a pig (wellcome to 2008) for HARDWARE to keep up with it.
(mostly HDD anchored speeds, but alot of times not!)

hardware all you want. sloppy pig software makes it null.

Last edited:
XP STILL is too much of a pig (wellcome to 2008) for HARDWARE to keep up with it.
(mostly HDD anchored speeds, but alot of times not!)

hardware all you want. sloppy pig software makes it null.

Linux works faster than Windows (welcome to 2008).

If you feel that people are making crap software, then either make your own or stop buying the one you consider crap. In either case, stop crying about it and do something.

Software revolution? Hardware revolution? What do you consider a revolution? How do you know it will actually happen?

Software as of now is fine. It would be nice to have less bugs and more features, but it is not going to change with the current business models. I am surprised that it works as well as it does right now.

News of a major step towards optical chips

I predict that hardware will stall for only a short while. Overclocking will get a new boost once this tech hits the shelves. You, I, and everyone here KNOWS that IBM will release this chip underclocked to make multiple product lines(just like Intel and AMD). Yes, I did say that IBM will release this chip.... I see them as the next contender to step in the ring with the big guys in blue. It was their tech that kept AMD afloat as long as they managed. Memory will be the next thing to need a speed boost and from the sounds of what they are doing with this optical design they could apply it here. The single biggest bottleneck will still be the harddisk. SSD technology needs to advance in size and lower in price. Rust will still be the most economical for mass storage for a few years. The OS wars will start to heat up in the next year. All it will take for the dam to break is easy installation(Ubuntuu) and more software compatability. Software will catch up slightly and then fall behind again as new tech outraces it again.

The main thing to look for software will be a move to cheaper(free?) and more robust applications. It's still a microsoft world, but more free software is being made for the platform every year. Don't look for everything to go free though. Programmers need to eat just as much as gamers, techies, and nerds.

I tell ya all the new games I have played, Crysis, COD4, and BioShock are multi-threaded. All the benchmarks are multi-threaded.....

Linux works faster than Windows (welcome to 2008).

If you feel that people are making crap software, then either make your own or stop buying the one you consider crap. In either case, stop crying about it and do something.

Software revolution? Hardware revolution? What do you consider a revolution? How do you know it will actually happen?

Software as of now is fine. It would be nice to have less bugs and more features, but it is not going to change with the current business models. I am surprised that it works as well as it does right now.

tow that linux line. it fixes everything.

if only EVERYONE made THIER OWN software we could all live free of bugs and never pay for software again.

how about the people getting paid to write software actually do their jobs properly? now theres a thought.

sorry if i dont see your utopia...

tow that linux line. it fixes everything.

if only EVERYONE made THIER OWN software we could all live free of bugs and never pay for software again.

how about the people getting paid to write software actually do their jobs properly? now theres a thought.

sorry if i dont see your utopia...

Linux does fix a lot of things. You just have to be able to use it correctly.

People getting paid to write software do their jobs correctly. :)

Programmers are not the ones deciding when to start the project, when to finish the project, when they can fix bugs with the project. There are people above them making the decisions.

I am all for no bugs. Look at it this way: in critical areas no bugs are accepted. In my car there is more sensors than fish in a barrel. There is a processor and programs that run it. Has it ever errored out or bugged out on me? In this situation every error or bug could be deadly, therefore ABS or assisted steering control is coded fail-safe.
On the other hand, has Windows erroed out on me? The incentive is not the same for car companies and software companies.

When the higher ups shift their focus from productivity to less bugs then *surprise* less bugs are produced. When you are playing a game it pays more to release it early with bugs than to release it (much) later with no bugs.
Therefore programmers are told to get it out the door now. Oh, and hiring cheap programmers does not help either.

It is an economic system where it (mostly) does not pay to fix bugs. You are a part of the system. I am a part of this system. If we refuse to buy bugged software, then it WILL start paying for companies to hire better programmers and to let them fix bugs. The carrot will be there for them then.

Same thing goes for the multi-tasking programming. It's hard to do. It's expensive to do. People do not desire it as much as they desire just software.

Back