• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I get my old ATA HD to work on the P5K Premium board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soulmancer

I have an old hd I am trying to plug into this port and it has a single ATA slot. But there is NOTHING in the bios to configure it, it just lists 6 SATA ports and doesn't even mention the 1 ATA port. I need to transfer files from this HD.

Go to one of the computer super stores or mom and pops computer stores.(radio shack, best buy).
Tell them you need a IDE to SATA adapter. (note you may have to ask several people before you find someone that knows).
If they can not help PM me I will send you a link to one at newegg.
Once you get the adapter plug it into the hard drive where you would plug the ribbon cable into. Make sure all the power cables are connected and the SATA cable is connected at both ends.
Turn on machine and wait for the hardware to be recognized. Copy and paste to your hearts content.

Massraptor

why isnt anyone telling the OP to just enable the JMicron controller in BIOS?

enable the JMicron controller and you should see another screen after the POST that shows the JMicron stuff connected.

why isnt anyone telling the OP to just enable the JMicron controller in BIOS?

enable the JMicron controller and you should see another screen after the POST that shows the JMicron stuff connected.

I thought (might be mistaken) that i have read some people having issue with IDE hard drives and the JMicron controller.
I could be wrong and it should work just fine.
I do believe the OP was questioning how to use IDE/PATA on a SATA port.

MassRaptor

I thought (might be mistaken) that i have read some people having issue with IDE hard drives and the JMicron controller.
I could be wrong and it should work just fine.
I do believe the OP was questioning how to use IDE/PATA on a SATA port.

MassRaptor

i did not see that he was asking about ide/pata on sata

Exactly, IDE drives do not appear in BIOS but are detected during POST on the jmicron controller.

I have an old hd I am trying to plug into this port and it has a single ATA slot. But there is NOTHING in the bios to configure it, it just lists 6 SATA ports and doesn't even mention the 1 ATA port. I need to transfer files from this HD.

No, it won't display it in the main IDE screen since that is for SATA drives attached to Intel SB chip, NOT the PATA Jmicron chip.

Just make sure you enable the Jmicron on IDE mode, save it and restart and again get into the BIOS again, you will now see that drive will be available in the boot selection screen.

Example, yours should be "similiar" with this one.
Enabling JMIcron IDE.JPG

Back