• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Compound" Kyle Lunau - 11/28/07

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbigna

I hate to be so blunt about this article comparing Tuniq's new thermal compound with Arctic Silver products.

But I have to ask this brutal question: How many other people who have read that article agree that this is a perfect lesson on how NOT to apply thermal compound?

I couldn't help but notice that Kyle couldn't even completely clean off all the old compound before applying the TX-2. And in either case, there is no way that I would trust the results of either temperature delta considering the amount of compound applied in both cases.

I hate to be so blunt about this article comparing Tuniq's new thermal compound with Arctic Silver products.

But I have to ask this brutal question: How many other people who have read that article agree that this is a perfect lesson on how NOT to apply thermal compound?

I couldn't help but notice that Kyle couldn't even completely clean off all the old compound before applying the TX-2. And in either case, there is no way that I would trust the results of either temperature delta considering the amount of compound applied in both cases.
I don't see an issue with that at all. He removed all of paste from the heatsink and the die, he did leave some on the processor, but not in places that would decrease performance.

Also...some of the pictures don't work :confused:

Actually the real flaw lies with the 1 hour testing. I would expect at least a week of continuous data gathering to make any realistic comparison. When Joe asked some of our members to beta test two thermal compounds for him, we gathered about a week of data using TAT.

Beta#1 was on an average better than AS5 by about 0.5C while Beta#2 was horrendous (6C worse).

I don't see an issue with that at all. He removed all of paste from the heatsink and the die, he did leave some on the processor, but not in places that would decrease performance.

Also...some of the pictures don't work :confused:

Using THAT much compound decreases overall performance (for any compound). Perhaps the 'money shot' pic where it shows the applied bead of compound that is the length of the die didn't work for you.

Where's Joe C. to comment on this?

Using THAT much compound decreases overall performance (for any compound). Perhaps the 'money shot' pic where it shows the applied bead of compound that is the length of the die didn't work for you.

Maybe application techniques are different for granulated silver v/s other substances. I don't know enough to comment, but perhaps Colin, Sam niksub1 or JoeC will have a better idea.

Well, since that heatsink looked very flat (looking at the spread pics). So it will push all the extra out ;)

the pic referred to is this

Pc12.jpg

i was startled, i may put only 1/2 of that on my cpu(maybe even less) and mine isn't a bare core but it has a heatspreader..

wow, just wow...

btw why didn't he perform this on a core2duo or a core2quad?
would have been much better to see something with technology that isn't from the stone age..

and he needs to dust out his motherboard :p

People should practice in applying TIM using a piece of glass to know how much is enough, just bring the cpu or HSF to the window if you don't have that glass, and press it against the window, once you see hows the TIM is spreading, you will "definately" know & understand when to stop squezzing that tube next time, as simply as that and you only need to practice that once ... for your lifetime. ;)

To Kyle if you're reading my post, after looking at the pic above as pointed by Drinkyoghurt, I highly suggest you to click on my sig at the -> TIM Applicator Expert Training.

Last edited:
Good someone else picked up on this.
This is one of the most unprofessional articles so far.

A single ONE application of a compond, versus an old stale application of AS Ceramique, on one single, outdated CPU which is notoriously unreliable for temp sensor readings, and the conclusion is that it's much better?

Get an up to date CPU, with a heatspreader, like all CPU's these days have, so the test is actually relevant. Then clean, apply, clean and reapply both thermal compounds at least 5 times each, running at least 12 hours per application at 100% load to let the compound settle. Then do an average of all those temperature readings, adjusted for variance in ambient, then we might have a front page worthy article.

Sorry to be blunt, but that article really says nothing about anything. I could probably clean off your completely over the top gallon of super thermal compund and replace it with a thin proper application of toothpaste and drop another 2 degrees. Does that mean toothpaste is a better compound too?

Agreed. That was an exceptionally brief test on old tech.

We need to see that on a C2Q with an Ultra 120e =P

Dude, I don't think anybody is getting $25... Ed would go broke if he did that. :)

especially with all the stuff this guy submits.

they started out awful, and then people pitched in and helped the guy get a feel for it.

now there only just bad.

this guy needs to step up or get out of the kitchen.

im sure the guy means well, -but you have to fault ed for accepting the article as well.

we can hack together some pretty ghetto rigs, but having this stuff on the front page gives me indegestion.

its overclocking 101 being fumbled very publicly in our name.
this guy needs to get on track in a hurry.
im dissapointed.

just look at the ceramique picture in the article!

I agree completely with what's been said above. Definitely not a great review. Also in theory, yes it should all "flow" out, but theory and practice are two different things, especially on an AXP setup which has less clamping pressure than IHS setups ;).

The sad part is that there are websites that are well known, that test and benchmark just like the author of this article and the one bing linked to do.

Whatever happened to the whole "grain of rice or less" thing :confused: :confused:

Processsor wasn't cleaned well enough for my tastes either.

This is not a comment about this Tuniq article, (haven't read it yet), but just my opinion in general on the subject.

I've never seen a thermal paste review done properly from any computer hardware based website, -ever-. Many sites try their best while others cut corners and some of their reviews are worthless. If I had a nickel for every review done improperly, I'd be rich.

Most all have never taken cross contamination protocols, controlled environment protocols, time needed for optimal performance as recommended by the manufacturer. And some don't install it according to the manufacturers advise, they may use too much or to little as well, Then test numerous configurations of the most popular configurations of CPU's as to the performance for their platform.

The reason we've never seen a proper thermal paste review is because to do it right, and get accurate representations it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of several thousands of dollars to test just a handful of thermal pastes. This is why you've never seen me do a thermal paste review measuring performance with hard numbers. It just cannot be done in one's home or office. People can do their best, but it will still not be accurate.

You can however get a generalization of the thermal pastes performance, but so many factors make up a TIM's performance, what you get for results may not be what your buddy Fred gets. The reason Thermagon, Shin Etsu and many of the largest TIM manufacturers make so many different types of pastes, is that they are geared for different applications. Arctic Silver products and Seven Carat for example are considered general purpose TIMS, that have been manufactured to perform well across many different applications.

I have to point this out though...everybody is complaining about the quality of the articles, standards of the FP being lowered etc etc, but how many of you actually take the time to put something together and forward it for submission? :confused:

I am not defending the article in question. It is incomplete and inadequate, no question or doubt. But, is there a need for being so negative about it? Perhaps offering the author a few suggestions on how to extract the maximum from a given scenario would be more helpful.

Back