• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5K Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chizzer

Hey Guys,

Today something happened to my pc, was working fine went to reboot and mess around with OSX86, and noted the post was lagged big time, then it finally came up and I went into bios only change the sata mode from ide to ahci ,rebooted again and took 3-4 reboots before I'd get a screen...then finally it just wouldn't post at all boots up but no post.... I remove the ram and it beeps telling me it's missing, so I put it back in..remove the video card but get no beeps? Stuck in crapy pci card no change no screen or post beep...took system completely apart put it back together little green led is on when power is connected but yet power button doesn't work...odd part was soon as I stuck in the ram boom it powers up but still no post... power button works to shut down but doesn't power up again, I remove/reconnect the main power connector on the mobo and it powers up again but still does nothing...

I am basically lost,is it the mobo or cpu? I check out cpu doesn't seem to smell "burnt" or show any sign of over heating... never got over 50 on Prime/Orthos...Voltage was around 1.4 @3.6ghz... and idle'd 80% of the time and never had any issues...

What's next to check/try....

btw I tried another power supply as well no change..

Thanks..

My p5k-e did that too. I sent it in for rma.
My p5k-premium did that this last weekend, I swear. I too un-hooked everything, did the pci vcard too. I did stick one stick of ram back in the 2nd from the cpu socket, and I don't know why, but it booted back up..

very strange.....take CMOS battery out....if that dont work...methinks an RMA is in order

Hey Guys,

Did all steps including removing battery, Pulled power, removed battery, rtc 2-3 5-10 sesconds, put rtc back to 1-2 battery in power, I have 4 sticks of ram, 2*1gig of 1066 and 2*1gig of 800 same issue wether bank 1-4...

I emailed asus and this was there dumbass response:

Dear Sir / Madam,

As we do not validate memory ourselves you will need to contact the memory manufacturer and verify that the memory you have of theirs is a tested and approved model # and that the cas latency timings being read in the bios are correct.If the settings in the bios are not the correct timings ask them for the timings needed to run your memory on this motherboard, once you have these timings either the memory manufacturer or one of our technicians can help you hard code these timings into your system.You may also want to ask the manufacturer if there are any memory diagnostic tests that they can recommend that would also help in determining if the memory is causing the problems you are having, there are programs out there that will help in diagnosing problems with memory such as the ones found at www.memtest86.com or the microsoft memtest diagnostic tool, although we do not officially support these tests your manufacturer may suggest one of these I have listed or another that they themselves use.Below are links to some of the more commonly used memory manufacterers compatability labs where you can verify what would be the tested and approved memory for your motherboard.

Corsair: http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/guides/ASUS-2004-APRIL.pdf
Tech support number for Corsair - 1-800-205-7657

Mushkin: http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushk...400707a482740c0a801020646/Product/View/990880
Tech support number for Mushkin - 1-800-569-1868

Kingston: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/models.asp?root=us
Tech support number for Kingston - 1-800-435-0640

Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/store/listProductLine.asp?cat=RAM&mfr=ASUS&submit=Go+to+step+2+>
Tech support number for Crucial - 1-800-336-8915

OCZ : http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/motherboard/
Tech support number for OCZ - 1-800-459-1816

Unigen: http://www.unigen.com/search/brand.cfm
Tech support number for Unigen - 1-510-668-2088

Dear Valued Customer,

It is very important for us to achieve 100% satisfaction from all of our valued Asus customers. Please take some time to give feedback on the quality of support you are receiving. Below is a link that will just take a few minute's to complete. With these survey's we can improve our customer satisfaction that will help you in the future to get the best solution to your problem. I would like to thank you for taking the time and completing this survey.

http://sip.asus.com/Survey/Questionnaire/Survey_2007092785120.aspx

Best Regards,

Chris Eyre
Level 2 Support Engineer

So I replied back " How do I try another type of ram when the board doesn't boot at all, this board has been running fine with this type of ram, "hard code" the timmings doesn't take alot of smarts and "manually" entering the cas timmings, please respond back with another option...

I even put in "ALL" troubleshooting I did, so of course easy cop out for them "ram isn't supported" so we will use that escape goat"...

Jackass's lol

Another question,what would the symptoms be if the Cpu had actually went? Would system power up at all? As for the ram what are the chances of 4 ram sticks going bad at the same time?

I doubt that its your cpu. This problem is very common on Asus' boards. My other P5B-D Wifi just died last week . And my last 2 boards. Same problem as yours. If you already tried leaving the battery out overnight just RMA it.

yes mine does that too with my ocz ram, if i do have to clear cmos, i have to boot with one stick of ballistix to get it going again. my first p5k was like that too, it probably wasnt even dead. but i didnt have another set of ram to play with. also, this ram with my old 680i board was a nightmare as well. if i took things too far with that board, id have to unplug the power, discharge, clear cmos, then apply power and start the board with no ram, then repeat the process (minus the cmos) with a single stick in to set volts and such. pita. at least with my p5k i deal with it, because it really is a wicked board, but it could use a few improvements here and there. i guess thats what the premium is for heheh.

So gonna try it again see if I can get it goin...thing is power button won't boot the damn thing up unless the main 24pin power source is disconnected/reconnected... any idea why that is?

Update,

Couldn't get nothing soon as I plug in a ram chip it powers up..granted no post but it powers up.. I can use power button to shut it off but won't turn back on......

Last edited:
Finally got email from Asus for RMA... Was hoping to pay the different then upgrade to the Premium or something higher but apparently can't do.... Might sell the board when I get it back.. it retails brand new about 230$ CAD... what's a good "used" price ?

I picked up another board/chip... and I was running my ballistix 800... working fine, decided to test my 1066 ballistix and 1 stick no problem, plugged in the other chip and beep codes... appears I have 1 bad stick... now can a ram board short out a board? And can a board cause the problem to short out ram?

Alright.. For whatever reason I decided to give the board another try, knowing which ram was bad left it aside.. plugged the other 1066 in and booted up without issue, part I don't get why it didn't work with the 800 stuff? Or with maybe takin the board in/out did I bump something and maybe it made a connection? Either way I am happy I don't have to send the board or at least for now... but I have to setup rma for my ram ...

i had the same thing happen to me last weekend ? i was using a p5n-e sli board running
fine . then on 12/09/07 i tryed starting it, post started and i can see the lights on the memory going and it just stoped. i rebooted and never was able to post again? i tryed
changing out the memory and the psu and still nothing . tryed jumping cmos nothing.
put all the parts in another board and booted right up.
mike

Yeah pretty screwy if ya ask me lol... cause I even tested all memory on it before removing it to make sure it wasn't a bad stick, then 2 weeks later it turns out to be the stick...

Ah well **** happens I guess lol

THanks guys

I had sorta of the same thing happen to me with 2 ds3 boards in the same freakin day. The ram slots were trying to punk me out. I was just about to rma both boards and figured i would give it one last try. I put the ram in and made sure they were really snugg and voila both boards booted and havent had any probs since.

Only other thing that's kinda driving me abit nuts is the sata connector are abit loose.. I noticed if I move my tower to the tv *HD* to watch movie and sometimes move back I have no drives showing, then if I wiggle the connector on the board then they are found again... I tried new cables no change... anyone else have this issue?

Back