• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Cheap memory be causing my problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strangelove

Hi I’m slowly trying to OC my Dual PIII Computer. Only problem is that once I increase the FSB speed to 143 MHz Win2K will BSOD on me at random:( I have 3 blocks of memory in my set-up, I think they are all different makes, 1 PQI 512MB SDRAM PC133, 1 Apacer 128MB SDRAM PC133 and one more don't know what brand will have take it out to check. Basically I want to know if the problem could be related to bad/cheap memory?

Thanks

Dr. Strangelove

Here's the specs:

MSI 694D Pro AD (VIA apollo Pro 133A)
2x PIII933 (Runs fine @ 966 but can't get further see above)
768 MB PC133 SDRAM
Asus V8200 Deluxe
Lots of hard disks and so on.....

yes, the different brands of memory isnt helping you at all, and ive never even heard of this brands, so you should go out and get like 2-512mb sticks of crucial or something, thats good overclocking ram....ive been to websites that pre-burn in memory at like 150mhz, and they only charge a few dollars more....and it still has warranties on the sticks, so id look around for one of those places....later

I'm not a memory expert, but I had a similar problem some months back. I had 2x256 Spectek and 1x256 generic. Took out the generic and I was able to go higher. It's pretty easy to check, just pull the odd one and/or the Apacer and see what happens.

Out goes the PQI

Well thanks for all the replies :p I tried to run simmtester on the comp with all the ram installed, crashed after 50 sec. Removed the cheap 512 MB PQI ram and it completed 3 loops with no prob. now we will see how far I will get with the system ;)

I use all cheapo ram and get some decent ocs. The generic-type stuff is sort of a crapshoot: some does fine, some doesn't!

But one thing I have seen for certain: 1 stick is better than 2!

Size on the stick seems less important, but using only 1 makes a BIG difference on my rigs

rogerdugans said:
I use all cheapo ram and get some decent ocs. The generic-type stuff is sort of a crapshoot: some does fine, some doesn't!

But one thing I have seen for certain: 1 stick is better than 2!

Size on the stick seems less important, but using only 1 makes a BIG difference on my rigs
That's what you call a capacitance problem. But the 512 sticks dont go as high as 128 or 256 sticks usually.

sonny said:
That's what you call a capacitance problem. But the 512 sticks dont go as high as 128 or 256 sticks usually.

What is a "capacitance" problem??

Thanks

Dr. Strangelove

BTW. tried it out with out the cheap 512 stick, still got a BSOD when doing a burn-in in Sandra, but I will fiddle a bit more around with it later.

Strangelove said:
What is a "capacitance" problem??

Mushkin FAQ
Unregistered SDRAM limits the maximum frequency you can run SDRAM reliably with out having to introduce latencies, the reason is that more chips connected to the memory bus the greater the capacitance load.
Higher capacitance loads require more current to drive the signals to the valid voltage levels. So for the best memory bus performance, the less DIMMS the better (we've seen numerous examples of this, where a board will run stable with one DIMM, but lose stability once more DIMMs are added). Of course, less memory may result in better “benchmark performance” for your memory subsystem, but if you don't have enough memory for your applications then there will be an even bigger performance hit on the performance of your whole system than just running your memory at CAS 3.
So if you need more and better memory performance it’s best to select a DIMM with the highest memory density supported by your motherboard's chipset (check your motherboard manual). This results in less chips connected to the memory bus, therefore your memory bus will see less capacitance load.
Some of you may be thinking that Registered memory is a solution to this possible performance inhibitor, but it isn't. While Registered Memory will not significantly load the bus capacitatively because Registered Memory represents a smaller load on the memory bus, Registered Memory incurs an extra clock delay in your memory cycle. This makes CAS 2 registered memory perform like CAS 3 memory!. Registered memory should only be used if you need to install the maximum amount of memory possible. Many motherboard chipsets only allow a total of 384MB (or 128MB modules) of unregistered memory while allowing 1GB (256MB modules of registered memory) although each motherboard chipset varies as to the total and maximum module size it will allow.
There is a new solution to this problem that we are seeing on some newer motherboards. While most motherboard's memory settings revolve around timing issues, a few motherboards are now offering extended BIOS settings which allow users to change the voltage that feeds DIMM slots. This feature is called VIO voltage, and if I were going to get a new motherboard I would make sure that it has the VIO voltage feature. This feature allows you to tweak the voltage fed to the DIMM slots, not just the AGP/PCI bus and chipset voltages. Being able to tweak the voltage for the DIMM slots will allow you optimize the memory bus so you get it to run reliably depending on how loaded with DIMMs the memory bus is.

Sorry for the lazy way of replying:eek: You can see the article in its entirety here.

Sonny,

I just tried Simmtester and I gotta say thanks for posting that program! I ran that utility twice and its the most comprehensive memory tester I have come across. Just for comparison I ran the program twice with a known defective Sdram stick and it told me exactly what was wrong with it.

Thanks again.

Back