• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Striker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zacdrew

I think I read somewhere that evga 680 board won't support next generation of intel cpus. So 7xx series might be best be if you want to wait. Ouch on the price of striker.

Are you planning on going sli?, if not then you don't have a problem since you have p35 and x38 from intel.

the 680i will support 45nm dual cores. it will not support 45nm quad cores. the 7xx will support both, have PCI-e 2.0 and other updates...

i would say ride it out with a single video card and go P35 with a new 45nm dually or quad, depending on what you do. that way you wont have wasted a whole lot of money since the new socket b comes out next year. as well at the rate nv is throwing video cards out, something faster for what you paid for that 8800gts 640 will be out. well even the 8800gt 512mb is a bit faster then the 8800gts 640.

Evilsizer you are probably right. This rig I have now is definetly fast enough to last me another 6 months to a year but Im getting discouraged due to overall gaming performance. I can't crack 9000 with this setup in 3DMARK06 and temps sky rocket while playing Two Worlds(settings not maxed). Is a new quad going to alow me to break 9000 in mark06? And max out settings in some of todays games?

i would say yes on the 9k +

out of the eVGA 680i vs striker, the eVGA is for sure the best pick. but if you want support for new 45nm cpus (quads) wait for the new 7xx series, but only if you want sli. i don't like it but right now single card/crossfire rigs are best with a x38 or p35 chipsets.

a quad would but consider that if you have a fast enough cpu to have it not be the bottleneck in games. then what would be the point of going quad when your fps in games wont gain anything but some random numbers from 3dmark06 go up over 9k?

im just tring to get ya to think about it and the whole setup... there is more to selecting and building the computer you. fps in games and a 3dmark score are not hand in hand.

i think it's like comparing a natural disaster on computer(3d mark and other programs) vs the real thing(actually playing the game). you can get a rough idea of what to expect but you will never know until the real thing happens.

Back