• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me get started learning =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colton H

So for those who read my last post about my friend wanting to buy a water cooling kit due to high recommendations I (this is now the friend) am looking into building my own water cooling system for starters let me tell you what i plan to do.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146025 that is the case i plan on going with. I was planning on going with a reservoir as I hear it works nicely and cost is really not the issue as of this moment if it gets to pricey though ill have to downgrade some.But I am not sure if this case is spacious enough to fit a reservoir in or if ill have to go with a t-line. the reviews say theres plenty of space (of course for people planning to water cool nothing is mentioned). Noise is not a huge concern though quiet is more desirable. I would also prefer it all to fit into the case and not have to have parts outside of the case. If need be though I will not be heart broken if something must be sitting out. I am willing to spend 300-400 dollars. would prefer closer to 300. I will be cooling a q6600 and a 8800gtx. To sum this up i need advice on good parts for around the 300 dollar range to cool ^ that.

Last edited:
ok so i will recommend my soon to be setup (by march the latest)

i would swap out the apogee GTX for a Dtek fuzion, if you don't want any problems at all. you would likely not get any with the GTX but if you want 100% no worries then go with the d tek fuzion.

that will run you less at jabtech btw, i just happen to have a screen shot of my pp list.

as for the res situation thats what the swiftech micro res was built for :) (in the list btw)

ok so i will recommend my soon to be setup (by march the latest)

i would swap out the apogee GTX for a Dtek fuzion, if you don't want any problems at all. you would likely not get any with the GTX but if you want 100% no worries then go with the d tek fuzion.

that will run you less at jabtech btw, i just happen to have a screen shot of my pp list.

as for the res situation thats what the swiftech micro res was built for :) (in the list btw)
That right there is one great loop ;)

Good build.

Hey thanks man, do you think I will have any problems with space? I am not really objected to switching cases if its necessary I've heard some horror stories about trapped airflow meeting hardware o0.

Hey thanks man, do you think I will have any problems with space? I am not really objected to switching cases if its necessary I've heard some horror stories about trapped airflow meeting hardware o0.
Well, with the setup he suggested, you will have a space issue ;)

as for space you could swap out the 320 rad for 1x 220 and 1x 120 but you will need more money, and more tubing. you also don't need 6 fans but i want the option of good cooling. i plan on getting toggle switchs for either 2 sets of 3 or 1 switch for each fan. i would have them at 12v and 5v settings.

but back to you, i think you might get a 120 rad in the rear exhaust but you would at the very lease need to put the fan for it on the outside. if you didn't mind making feet or some way of lifting the case you could put a 220 rad on the bottom on the inside.

it will be cramped in that case though i think.

Like I said man I have no objections to switching cases. If you were to choose a spacious good looking case what would you choose? And when I say spacious newegg has some two feet tall towers.... thats a little much =]. I would also rather stick to the one rad rather then two, so really just need a recommendation on a case.

I could live with a 22 inch case. If that thermaltake will get the job done I have no complaints. Especially with that price $90 for that case I could definitely live with that.

Have you looked into Mountain Mods? Nice cases to play with, they have many diff ones for all your needs. One thing about WC'ing, it will never end. Buy a case for enough now, and it won't be enough later. Thus, new case, new $$ and don't forget the etc.

I'll someday get the dual 120.3 rad MM case (forget the name) when I upgrade the case, so I never have to worry about a case again.

Heck, I might make a tech station so it's all open and make a WC box. Ohh Ohh! darn, forgot to mention... Look at the Waterkeg made by Seth, also know as newls1 here. Nice quality external water system, using the best custom stuff, no cheapo shortcuts on his stuff.

Hmmm well computers are never ending at that. Upgrading a part leads to upgrading something else or switching tubes up/buying new tubes to fit the newly acquired part. I will go with the thermaltake for now because of how "noob" i am at this. Once i have done it for a while we will see =)

Like I said man I have no objections to switching cases. If you were to choose a spacious good looking case what would you choose? And when I say spacious newegg has some two feet tall towers.... thats a little much =]. I would also rather stick to the one rad rather then two, so really just need a recommendation on a case.
TT armor my friend. Easily the best case for watercooling if you want to do mods.

I'll give you a taste:
IMG_0638.jpg

Yes, I added wheels and yes, there is a radiator hanging from the bottom of the case ;)

Album can be found here:
http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/thideras/Computer mods/

I'm not exactly finding a whole lot of information about mountain mods cases. Their own website doesn't even have a lot of pictures for them.

Alrighty so ill go with that thermaltake case =) thank you thid.
No problem :thup:

Glad to hear!!

Just as a side note, get the Armor WITHOUT the 25cm fan in the door, it doesn't push any air (I had a replacement door that had it :rolleyes:).

The TT amour that was linked has two 90mm fans and 2 120mm fans so unless newegg ships the wrong case I dont think it will be a problem thanks for the heads up though. Oh wait nevermind I didn't read the title it does come with the 25cm fan on the door ill make sure to get the one without it.

No problem :thup:

Glad to hear!!

Just as a side note, get the Armor WITHOUT the 25cm fan in the door, it doesn't push any air (I had a replacement door that had it :rolleyes:).

mine pushes a good amount, it's cooling my ram and other parts pretty good. i like it for that but it has limited me for heatsinks, like the ultra 120, but i'm going water cooling so it doesn't much matter.

was that a 120 rad in the front thirderas?

mine pushes a good amount, it's cooling my ram and other parts pretty good. i like it for that but it has limited me for heatsinks, like the ultra 120, but i'm going water cooling so it doesn't much matter.

was that a 120 rad in the front thirderas?
Well, I ordered the door (after it was released, I've had that case since it was first released) it pushed a total of 10cfm with the grill on the outside. Removed the grill and it pushed probably around 40-50cfm. That fan is so large that it has almost no pressure. If you had positive pressure in the case, it would actually be coming out of that fan (even if it is aimed in).

The fan in the front is for the hdd bays ;)

Back