• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What pump dumps the least amout of heat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mycobacteria

I have two D5s running, together I think they dump about as much heat into the water as my OCed CPU.

The problem is I want to run passive without ANY fans, so a cool pump would be good.

Sugestions plz...

LOL, yeah, my mcp655-B during bleeding (radiator fans not on, or anything else of course) would heat up my mcr320 pretty well after about 30 minutes. I'm not sure you're going to get away with passive unless you use like a small car radiator...
Dan

If something is drawing 18 watts of electricity, it can't dump more than that into the water as heat. If it could, you've found something that will make you a billionaire - making something from nothing. The D5's are under 20 watts, along with all the 12vdc Liang pumps at full tilt.

IIRC the newer Intel notebook cpu's can go as low as 23ish watts, and thats at something like 1.8 ghz with one 0.045 µm core, before multiplier/voltage reduction.

If you have an OC'd cpu that's dumping only 36 watts of heat into your system, you belong more to silentPC than to OCforums ;)

Hehe, indeed. The only reason it is getting that hot as you mentioned Bobcat was because the fans were not on. Even assuming the pumps are only 50% efficient (I'm pretty sure they're more efficient than that - probably at least 70-80%) you're talking about an 18W heat dump for both pumps (probably more like 7W) which is pretty much a drop in the bucket compared to high flow 120VAC pumps. You might get a lesser heat dump from something like an enheim compact, but at that point you're hurting your performance so drastically that the increased heat dump is pretty much negligible.

Of course, one could always try to connect the impeller to the motor through a drive shaft to keep as much heat out of the system as possible... but why....

I want to run passive without ANY fans, so a cool pump would be good.
Lowest heatdump from a 12v DC pump is D-Tek DB1 / DangerDen CPX1 (same thing). S'also the quietest pump available at the mo too (assuming you get it mounted nicely - the provided method in the box with the pump is lousy).

That's my point, he wants to run fanless, with my fains off just the pump could heat up the radiator. I think the only way to go passive is to just have a radiator with a giant amount of surface area, or do the buried copper tubing trick.
Dan

That's my point, he wants to run fanless, with my fains off just the pump could heat up the radiator. I think the only way to go passive is to just have a radiator with a giant amount of surface area, or do the buried copper tubing trick.
Dan
But both of those are going to require a larger pump to move the water. That is a lot of head height to overcome either way.

The copper tubing probably unless well designed, but I think you could run a small car radiator with the typical pump (they shouldn't be too restrictive at the flow rates we use).
Dan

I would presume the best heat dump vs flow/pressure pump would be the MCP350 with a Petra's Delrin top or equivalent.

With a 9 watt draw, I would guess about a 6 watt dump near equal D5 performance with multiple blocks taken into account.

Also it is SILENT next to a D5 at setting 1.

I have used & own a unmodded MCP350, a D5, & 2 PT MCP350's.

Back