• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dreams shattered

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dkizzy

So I was pumped today about putting my new ip35-e board in. It booted up fine so I was like alright good and so I decided to update the bios because I heard you could shut off the double boot option in a newer version. So I flash the bios, can't remember if it went into windows once after flash maybe not but regardless I decided to up the fsb to 356 and do a normal testing from that point of 200 mhz intervals. Well now the computer won't load into windows, after it shows the jmicron screen it just shows a black screen and the hd light shows no loading anymore of the os. Is this due to the bios? I checked the memory its definitely not that (tried other sticks) so what the hell happened to this board? If anyone has an abit how should I go about flashing (I dont have a floppy so I hope I can use a jump drive) and get back to the old bios. I really hope its just stupid bios and not a bum board. I'm definitely not in the mood to deal with a bummed board. Thanks.

yep setup the stuff in the bios agian for you HD. as if you had it on AHCI and its on ide it should still boot. If you have something on the jmicron and didnt switch that boot order that might be it. its really to hard to say since we cant sit in front of the machine to mess with it.

just a though double check the connection to the hd.

I'll check now but what happens after the micron screen you will just see a maybe 1 second light up on the hd light and then nothing. the bios detects the hardrive. My assumption is the bios update messed things up or this board has quit on me for no reason :(

Last edited:
I did, I reset the bios changing the pins from 1-2 to 2-3 then returned them. Maybe the double boot resets dmged my hardrive? I Need to flash back to original bios. Anyone have tips I know I have to do it through dos but I'm going to have to a jump drive since I don't have a floppy and hope this resolves the matter otherwise gotta send it back.

Well I flash back to the old bios, no go. Looks like a bum board, I'm going to reseat the cpu one more time as a last shot effort. Clearing the CMOS did nothing and even going back to orignial bios did nothing. Maybe reseating the cpu will help prob not but worth a try. This is what I get for going with the budget board I suppose. I bought one for my bro I'm going to try his but if it sucks too then I'm done with abit and going back to asus or maybe giving the ip35 pro a chance.

I tried switching the sata. did nothing :( the memory originally worked pre flash and I threw another pair in and still the the same prob so its not the memory (two different brands). It's a bum board it looks like, I reflashed to the v10 bios and still no change. Its annoying but at least I know now its crap. I'm going to try the one I bought for my bro since I have two and see how that goes but should I go for the ip35 pro or an asus p5ke series board as replacement?

So I tried the CPU in the other ip35-e motherboard. Same exact problem. Both boards at least once have had the "cpu is unworkable message" appear. Its odd because the cpu did boot up before I did that flash on the other bios board. My guess now is that it is most likely the cpu or maybe it just became evil about my ram?

The "CPU is unworkable or has been changed" message is normal on a new install or after clearing CMOS.
With your clearing CMOS etc. have you also remembered to reset the RAM voltage to the manufacturer's recommended level?

if the board boots far enough to allow you to flash new BIOS to it imo it's unlikely to be the mobo.

The double boot didn't mess up any of your hardware. It's more of a annoyance than something that can do damage. The "CPU is unworkable" message is just when you reset the cmos, or you have a bad OC that it had to set back to default.

Before trying to oc it, I'd try going with the factory settings on all the parts and seeing if you can get it to boot into windows, with all voltages set manually. ex: [email protected], [email protected], etc, etc...

I tried that setting things to manual and keeping them default. I seem to be getting the cpu is unworkable message every other startup almost. I'll check if its the hardrive but I'm guessing the cpu is shot?

I have had problems when I flash a board and overclocked it.Thats windows got corrupt try just reloading windows can you put in the windows cd and run a recovery?

im going to try that right now hopefully it works. But that still doesn't explain how two motherboards both from abit both reported the cpu unworkable a couple times each?

Ran a windows recovery, no go. I'm ****ed it has to be the CPU then.

when the cpu is unworkable do you enter the bios and load defualts. restart then go back in to set things up?

why dont you reset bios then set your settings for boot order/device and try a fresh install?

if there was something wrong with your cpu you wouldnt even make it that far.

Back