• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't find a decent 680i motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bighalf

I'm planning on building a new rig with a QX6850 cpu with 2 8800gtx's. I wanted the evga 680i A1 board, but it's backordered. Can someone recommend a good 680i board that overclocks a quad core?

Thanks

The eVGA 680i doesn't handle the quad cores very well. Take a look at this thread.

They do fine with a dual core.

well this is kinda false but not completly. while yes they dont support the new 45nm quads but only the 45nm dualies.

when this board was release way before P35/x38 its hard to call it a bad clocker. since it clocked nicly as a P965 and gave per clock performance like 975x. 680i is a still a good choice for those wanting sli. just dont expect much past 420-450s for ocing 65nm quads.

since the asus and abit are ODM's and not OEM's. they shouldnt have the same issues the oem's one do. thats not to say the oems are bad but the tweaker for max clocks will want the asus or abit's. the downside is that for some reason all asus 600's with newer bios's are clocking worse then if they had older bios's, just something else to think about.

I'm pretty sure 680i is discontiunued.

I went to evga's forums & one of their reps claims that the 680 A1 is not discontinued, another rep recommends to hold out for the 780 series, he says it is coming very soon, but I've got to get this thing completed, so I need something fairly quickly.

If I decided to go the single vid. card route what would be a good one there? The x38?

I went to evga's forums & one of their reps claims that the 680 A1 is not discontinued, another rep recommends to hold out for the 780 series, he says it is coming very soon, but I've got to get this thing completed, so I need something fairly quickly.

If I decided to go the single vid. card route what would be a good one there? The x38?

P35 is he better choice X38 doesnt off that much over P35 when both use ddr2. x38 main place is with DDR3, dont even consider the pcie 2.0 since its not going to bring anything to the table yet. its going to take NV or ati atleast another 6months to bring out PCIE 2.0 cards that can make use of it. the 8800GT has no performance difference between PCIE 1.0a and PCIE 2.0

If you absolutely have to have a board right now, I would go for something with p35 chipset. Gigabytes board (ga-p35c-ds3r) has both ddr2 and ddr3 slots, and they claim to be 45nm ready.
I couldn't wait for 45nm, so I went with the kentsfield. Can't vouch for 45nm compatability, but it clocks the q6600 nicely..and as far as I know, the gig board is the only one that can support ddr2 or ddr3 but not both at the same time.
Good luck on your build.
Rod

one thing about the hybrid boards you need to be carefull with is that when appling more volts. it winds up giving ddr2 more then it should. i have seen a few posts/threads, i think one or two here and more at xs. it has to do with working supporting both ddr2 and ddr3.. so choose a board with one standard not both..

780i is the same exact north & south bridge chips as the 680i, it just supports TRI SLI, and "PCI-e 2" lanes. as well as some with DDR3 support. And early reviews are not that great.

And early reviews are not that great.
hmmm.... i don't know about this. i was over at eVGA forums and they (eVGA) hosted a big lanparty and had k|ngp|n doing some stuff with dryice on a new 7 series board. he got a 45nm quad to like 5.9GHz - sounds good to me. they also set a new world record in 3dmark01 using DI w/o trying to hard.

i'll be moving to the 7 seires later in Q1 08

Geta cheap p35 board and then later replace it with a 780 series if you really want to get SLi.
Asus, Abit and Gigabute all do good, cheap, P35 boards, such as the P5K.

Geta cheap p35 board and then later replace it with a 780 series if you really want to get SLi.
Asus, Abit and Gigabute all do good, cheap, P35 boards, such as the P5K.

agreed 100%
you;ve already bought the GTX's
not much going back now...

besides, it should be that long of a wait
i'm sure the delayed gratification will be worth the wait :)

I would go with the eVGA board when the 780i comes out, seems like they did the best with 680i. Can only assume that would continue.

Back