• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB wall on Neo2-FR, memory limitation or ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gillbot

System setup:
MSI Neo2-FR Motherboard rev 1.0, v1.6 Bios
Cooler Master Vortex TX Cooler (27c idle, 47c loaded temps)
Xclio 450BL PSU
2x1GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 Ram

My best max OC so far has been 2800Mhz @ 400fsb. It's 100% stable no matter what I throw at it so no real complaints there.
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/251/babyoc2pw9.jpg

My question is, no matter what I try to go higher, it will not boot AT ALL. It won't even ty to load windows. I'm wondering if it's the mobo or maybe the ram holding me back. No matter what tricks I try to isolate the issue, it will not go past 400fsb! Everything runs at stock volts and bumping voltage on any or all helps none. I've relaxed the timings on the ram, lowered the multi on the CPU, nothing.

Last edited:
well its kinda hard to tell you since you left out what cpu your using.... but i could guess and say its your psu having voltage issues causing some the problems your having...

well its kinda hard to tell you since you left out what cpu your using.... but i could guess and say its your psu having voltage issues causing some the problems your having...

I thought it was kinda obvious since it's shown in the CPUz screen as a E6550. :santa:

I just tried setting the bootstrap via jumper to 200mhz down from 333 and 266 and it helped none. I tried 433fsb x 6 and it refuses to post. Anything between 400 and 433 it sometimes posts but won't boot into OS. it seems something has a 400 ceiling and I can't figure out what it is.

up nb voltage?

what voltage you running RAM at? while ur at it could ya post all your other voltages

I thought it was kinda obvious since it's shown in the CPUz screen as a E6550. :santa:

last night that ss wasnt there or i wouldnt have asked...

im with sam but i also think your psu is going to be part of the problem when you try to oc.

I pulled the heatpipe and reseated it with Ceramique TIM, hopefully that will yield better heat transfer than the goop they used.

I pulled the heatpipe and reseated it with Ceramique TIM, hopefully that will yield better heat transfer than the goop they used.
If you had over clocked properly, you would know:
The maximun FSB the board will do.
The maximun ghs the CPU will do.
The maximum mhz the memory will do.

And if you knew all of those, you'd know what was stopping you from going further.

If you had over clocked properly, you would know:
The maximun FSB the board will do.
The maximun ghs the CPU will do.
The maximum mhz the memory will do.

And if you knew all of those, you'd know what was stopping you from going further.

Word!

1) always use a 1:1 ratio when ocing to find what you cpu can do. this will keep the ram at or below stock speeds.

2) once you reach the rams rated speed, lower the cpu multi. then raise the fsb with the highest ratio to ram possible. every 10mhz increase on the fsb, run Memtest86. DO NOT USE OVER 2.3V FOR 24/7 USE. that has been proven in the past to kill ram, even if the ram is rated for that voltage. it is highly likely it will die within the year, even with active cooling on it.

3) once you find both max cpu and ram speed. adjust the cpu's multi and ram ratio to give you close the cpus max speed and rams max speed.

1) always use a 1:1 ratio when ocing to find what you cpu can do. this will keep the ram at or below stock speeds.

2) once you reach the rams rated speed, lower the cpu multi. then raise the fsb with the highest ratio to ram possible. every 10mhz increase on the fsb, run Memtest86. DO NOT USE OVER 2.3V FOR 24/7 USE. that has been proven in the past to kill ram, even if the ram is rated for that voltage. it is highly likely it will die within the year, even with active cooling on it.

3) once you find both max cpu and ram speed. adjust the cpu's multi and ram ratio to give you close the cpus max speed and rams max speed.

:confused:

I know the "proper" way to OC. The problem is no matter WHAT i try when I hit 401, it refuses to post. If I set ram to 1:1 it runs at 400 which it's rated for so you would think it could do 401fsb but no. If I set multi down to 6 instead of 7 and set FSB to 401 to get the cpu under, no post.

Something is at a wall at 400MHz and no matter what I try to sidestep, it refuses to go past. At first I thought it was a bum cpu or ram but now i'm contemplating a wall on the mobo itself.

the Neo2-FR has settable straps via jumper though.

I've tried 200, 266 and 333. They make no difference. The more I play, the more I think it's the board hitting a wall.

edit nvm.. im running on lack of sleep right now .... let me find something to drink and wake up first.... :soda:

*edit*
just had a thought, something i should have noticed... YOUR PSU!!!!

that can hold back your ocing...if your tight on funds a good psu replacement is this one, got one running rig #2.
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=PS-E5150GH

Last edited:
I thought PSU but it doesn't make any sence if it's a certain FSB. Plus if I unplug EVERYTHING else and the wall is still there, that tells me the board should be getting enough power.

When I first got the board it did the same thing only with 333fsb. After updating the bios 400 was cake but 401 is no dice. No matter what I try, as soon as I set the fsb over 400, no post or anything. I have to reset CMOS to get the system back.

Back