• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5K-E Killing my memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cassius2117

Registered
For the second time shutting down Vista has caused one of my sticks of memory to die, and result in a failed POST. I very rarely shutdown my system, so I'm not sure if this would happen every time, and I don't want to test that theory, but have any of you heard of anything like this happening?

The exact symptom is that I say to shutdown, and then the screen fades to the kind of dark overlay mode and just sits there for a while, the first time it turned off, but this last time I had to manually shut it off with the power button. After this when I turn it back on 1 stick of memory is dead and must be removed to POST. One thing I noticed was that once I got it back up, it said it had completed installing updates, so it appears it may of hung installing some update, but not positive, and I don't know what that would do to memory.

Could this be a mobo/bios issue, or what? I'm really hoping someone knows of this and has a fix for me. Thanks for the input guys.

My system specs are in my sig, but now its just 1 gig.

I will tell you this: The SPD Info Chips on a lot of Cheap memory modules from
Various venders SUCKS!

how much voltage were you giving the ram? what oced settings were you running? if you werent ocing the ram or using high voltage. then your another victim to micron ic's dieing even at stock settings. this is leading me to think that somehow a bad batch of IC's on there ram has made it out the door.

The memory is at stock voltage with timings at 5 5 5 15. CPUZ says 511MHz frequency. So you guys think that its got nothing to do with windows or the motherboard. I just found it weird that after shutting down the memory would be dead. But I guess its possible that something happened while running and it was only revealed once power was cut. What you said about a bad batch could be possible, after I RMA'd the first set they told me they had 2 more sticks from the same batch which they shipped me.

ok but what is the stock voltage,2.1,2.2,2.3? oced or not the micron ic's can still die on there own. its not related to the board at all if it was, then asus would be the only one with that problem but they are not.

The stock settings for the memory are 4 4 4 12 at 400MHz with 2.2V. Bad news if its just memory dying all the time, since I keep having to pay shipping back to Crucial.

so you are overclocking your ram and wonder why it keeps dying?

run the ram at all stock settings and overclock the rest of your rig, thats why we have dividers

I think this memory is just garbage. But I found it odd that two times the same thing happened with it dying after I shutdown the PC. Oh and I was wrong, my memory is running at 400. I set it in my BIOS to DDR2 800.

Last edited:
I think this memory is just garbage. But I found it odd that two times the same thing happened with it dying after I shutdown the PC. Oh and I was wrong, my memory is running at 400. I set it in my BIOS to DDR2 800.

It just may be your memory . I just had two Cruscial Ballistix fail. This is my first time using crucial (I usually buy Corsair), but I will be RMAing them both tomorrow. Not sure at ths point if this is a P5K issue or memory.

We need more people to post in this thread if they are seeing issues with failing memory. The fact that both of mine failed at the same time makes me think it is a motherboard issue. Although the fact that my computer was crashed out of Windows Vista(64) with the blue screen of death for over 12 hours (wife told me when I got home) may have caused the other to "fail"

P5K Premium wi/fi
2GB Crucial Ballistix (PC6400) - Stock voltage.

Last edited:
there is no need to post in this thread about ram dieing.. you can read the other threads where this has happened with micron D9 based ram... its not the motherboard i put money on that!

I am in the process of building an new rig and have been doing some research into RAM, and I too came across many complaints about these Crucial sticks dying. I want to buy these Crucial sticks but memories of CRUCIAL BALLISTIX PC4000 DDR500 MEMORY, bring back that bad taste in my mouth. Anyone remember that fiasco?

Back