• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI or not SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dop3y

Is SLI worth the extra money to get two cards or is there really not much of a performance boost with two cards over one card?

depends on what you do with it. if you benchamark and game @ 1680x1050 and greater SLi gives you the Extra FPS.

with my Single 8800GTS and a e6600 my personal record was 11,818 in 3dmark 06 - when i moved to SLi my score in the same setup went to 16,6xx in 06.

to me, i answered yes. because i love FPS. :)

Is SLI worth the extra money to get two cards or is there really not much of a performance boost with two cards over one card?
Ok, what cards are we talking about here?

If they are anything but the 8800 Ultra, no, it is not worth it. For the price of two cards in SLi (not including the motherboard) you could get the next step up.

If you are thinking about better performance, the HD3870's scale very nice in crossfire.
Even if a single 3870 doesn't preform as well a single 8800GT. The price difference makes up for it imo...

It also comes down to what games you are playing at what resolution. Currently a single 8800GT will max almost anything besides large resolution or Crysis.

that thread just made me want to cancel my order for two XFX 8800 GT's from dell... and get an x38 mobo with two 3870.

damnit man!
i'm looking to build for a 60" and resorted to a GTX/x38 set up when the GT's and 680i A1 were forever out of stock!
now i'm seeing this when my order is already mostly shipped and received and realizing I could have got two of these for the same price! but now they are out of stock too... grrrr
damn holidays

well, hopefully this means the GTX prices will drop in the near future so i can jump over to a 780i (or whatever that new chip is) and SLI
as is i can only pray that the single GTX can handle all the eye candy at the res that i'm wanting - we'll see in about a week :)

depends on what you do with it. if you benchamark and game @ 1680x1050 and greater SLi gives you the Extra FPS.

with my Single 8800GTS and a e6600 my personal record was 11,818 in 3dmark 06 - when i moved to SLi my score in the same setup went to 16,6xx in 06.

to me, i answered yes. because i love FPS. :)

I agree. If your only running games in 1024x786, then one 8800GT is perfect.. but if your running the higher res, then sure, get two cards. Just make sure everything is set to max on the graphics options, and use the cards to there potential.. If your not, use just one, and upgrade to a faster processor or quadcore..

Me, I'd be happy running ONE 8800GT, and getting Quadcore + Very nice ram + 15000RPM HD, and do some overclocking. :beer:

Back