• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilspooky

Registered
A few questions...

1) Does a D-Tek FuZion come properly lapped making any further improvement pointless?

2) Does the protective coating covering the FuZion do anything? Would the loss of that protective coating cause any sort of problem? Oxidation for example?

3) *When lapping do you went Flat (HS) to Flat (IHS), Convex (HS) to Flat (IHS), or what?*

*This applies to a Q6600 and a D-Tek FuZion water block.

Last edited:
You want both to be as flat as possible. I havent gotten my Fuzion block yet, so I cant tell you how flat it is but the Q6600 isn't flat. Just lapped mine today :D

Oxidation shouldn't be a problem.

1) As far as I'm aware lapping it would just make it worse, most high end blocks come with an extremely high quality base.

2) Do you mean when you store it? It may oxidise but that doesnt matter, you can clean it up with vinegar or ketchup.

3) Traditionally you want flat to flat, but since you can bow the Fuzion and some other blocks, making the base convex, it doesnt matter as much if the IHS is flat.

1. not sure
2. not sure
3. flat to flat, then you don't need as much AS5

to check the flatness right off the bat use bing's ketchup idea as seen here.

3) Traditionally you want flat to flat, but since you can bow the Fuzion and some other blocks, making the base convex, it doesn't matter as much if the IHS is flat.

how is the fuzion "adjustable"? you may be able to put more down force by tightening one nut over the others but you cannot bend the copper base.

how is the fuzion "adjustable"? you may be able to put more down force by tightening one nut over the others but you cannot bend the copper base.

i believe its done by dismantling the block and then putting an O ring inside and then assemble it again

ahh, i just figured it would be to thick to bend. b don't blame me, i'm only read, alot, on water cooling. besides i'm going copper topped GTX! come march.

ya, but i like the look over that fugly fuzion, though i like the nozzles on the fuzion and want as much of a swiftech kit as possible.
I'm one of those people that doesn't care about looks as long as it's quiet, performs well and preferably is cheap. I'd take a Fuzion over GTX any day :)

Back