• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus p5k series experience/questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

holo

so this is my first post here, and I just wanted to share my experience with the asus p5k series and ask a few questions....

I ordered a p5k after doing minimal research and just trusting the ASUS brand which I have gone with since my first p133 that I built myself.... I skipped over the p5k-se after figuring that the se stood for special edition and figured that the normal p5k was going to be a good motherboard without the cost of the premium/deluxe series... Boy was I wrong... After realizing that there was no AHCI support for the onboard SATA controller attached to the southbridge (it was removed in a bios update even though the option shows up in the manual), I began to have my doubts about this board... Come to find out it has cheap replacements for nearly every component on the board, from the ethernet controller to sound... I even tried to use the onboard JMicron controller so I could have NCQ support/etc, but on my vista x64 setup it would hard lock any apps accessing the hard drive every 2-5 seconds(!) for about half a second usually, sometimes up to 30+ seconds and the hard drive light would stay solid... I tried several driver versions, nothing fixed the issues... Oh and to top it all off it emits a high pitched squeal every 20 minutes or so, not very loud but pretty annoying (I think out the attached case speaker - although I can't be sure). I later returned the board and got a p5k-e (wifi edition since it was the same price on newegg) and just got it set up today... I am completely disappointed asus would even put their name on this motherboard.... $13 more for the p5k-e was nothing and it just created a huge hassle....

What I have noticed about the p5k-e after finding the asus comparison tool (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that it is pretty much exactly the same as the deluxe/premium versions of the board minus an extra ethernet controller and some cables (and $100+)... Maybe there is a better layout too as the graphics board can block a couple of the sata ports (luckily this is not the case with my X1950)....

Anyways, on to the questions...

1. First I have noticed that the startup animation is pretty bugged - I wonder if others have this issue as well?

2. Also, I am currently running a Q6600 quad core with an antec truepower 2.0 480watt power supply (asus claims this is fine) 38amp 5v 18amp 12v#1 18amp 12v#2 30amp 3.3v - is this acceptable for overclocking?

3. I am looking to try and get my FSB up to ~333 (~3.0ghz proc speed) - I assume this will involve manual adjustment of the cpu voltage/etc? Could someone please suggest some voltages for whatever would need to be adjusted? I am just using air cooling and not looking to do anything too exotic so if 333 fsb is unreasonable please let me know as well but I have seen posts of people getting this high - I am just unsure of how to modify my voltages...

edit: full system specs - q6600 quad core (the s0 stepping or whatever is the newer version with slightly less power usage), p5k-e, 4x1g patriot 4-4-4-12 2.2v, x1950pro, kinda old 250g sata2 hd, older ide 80g hd, dvd burner

Last edited:
1. Turn off the Asus logo.

2. I'm not good with PSU's but I dont think its beefy enough to drive an oc'ed quad with a higher end GPU's if you're planning to get one plus all your other parts. You have quite a grip there.

Back