• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Suggestions Please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Redfox2k

Registered
I'm building a new system and I'm having a hard time deciding on the core 2 duo E6850 or a Quad 6600, I want a decent MB for Oc'ing and something that will support the yorkfield but here is the problem. I only see boards that support crossfire, or ati cards, I have a 8800gt which i just got and I don't like ATI so what am I to do??

Couple of options.

If you really want SLI for future

Striker Extreme

If you dont need SLI P5K Deluxe or P5E.

Or you can wait for X48 or 780I

so even if the system only supports Crossfire you can still put a Nvidia GPU in it right, because I don't care about dual graphics.

:welcome: to the forums guys

Yes, even if the system only supports Crossfire Dual-GPUs, it will still work with a nVidia-based CPU. SLI is only available on the 680i series of motherboards, while Crossfire is available on ATI and intel chipsets.

As for suggestions, the P5K series are well proven overclockers, although I believe you need to do a BIOS update for the Yorkfield processors.....the X38 chipset boards ( Gigabyte GA-X38-DG6, the ASUS Maximus boards ) all support Yorkfield out of the box.

Hope that helps,
Drew

How is the XFX MB-N680-ISH9 nForce 680i SLI MCP board? Is it 45nm capable?

How is the XFX MB-N680-ISH9 nForce 680i SLI MCP board? Is it 45nm capable?

only dual core 45nm yes not 45nm quad... on dec 12th 780i is said to be released. not far around the corner...if you want sli thats the only route atm...

Not to thread-jack... but to summarise (I was looking at grabbing an X38 board, probably the Maximus, but I am not in a rush)... if we don't need/want to run SLI, then it would be smart to at least wait until the 780 / X48 boards anyway, given that they are only weeks away?

Not to thread-jack... but to summarise (I was looking at grabbing an X38 board, probably the Maximus, but I am not in a rush)... if we don't need/want to run SLI, then it would be smart to at least wait until the 780 / X48 boards anyway, given that they are only weeks away?

imo the only points to grabbing X38 or X48 is for ddr3 and CF. thats about the only thing the chipset has going for it out of the box. as p35 with ddr3 is not as effective with it as x38/x48. PCIE 2.0 isnt worth getting right now since they cant even use all of the 16x bandwidth. they dont even pass 8x bandwidth number when in cf or even single card setup. as well x38 doesnt oc more then p35 and x48 is a higher binned x38. which we hope will oc higher but its a wait and see game.

only dual core 45nm yes not 45nm quad... on dec 12th 780i is said to be released. not far around the corner...if you want sli thats the only route atm...

just to make sure i am on the right page. currently there is no sli board that will support quad 45nm? how much is the bad boy you speak of expected to cost in USD?

just to make sure i am on the right page. currently there is no sli board that will support quad 45nm? how much is the bad boy you speak of expected to cost in USD?

est is 250-300 or over 300 USD...right now its a guessing games.. but im following the 680i prices for the highe end 680i. expect it to be high when first release due to short supply. the prices should/will drop about $50 or so. once supply is not a issue any more.

Back