• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worst case scenario if....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Propaganda

What is the worst case scenario of a pump failure? For the latest CPUs how hot could the block get? Could the water temp become high enough to reach phase conversion? About how much time would if take to heat up to max temp?

If I had of the latest CPU and block I would give this a go but I don't. So if anyone has experience with this, please lend me you first hand accounts.

thx

unless you are useing a PEM (peltier) cooling it won't kill you system immidiately.
It cannot reach phase change until after your CPU is nuked (water boils at 100c CPU should't top 60c,
No 1st hand account on my part.

What is the worst case scenario of a pump failure? For the latest CPUs how hot could the block get? Could the water temp become high enough to reach phase conversion? About how much time would if take to heat up to max temp?

If I had of the latest CPU and block I would give this a go but I don't. So if anyone has experience with this, please lend me you first hand accounts.

thx
Well, as long as it is a current CPU, it will throttle and then do a complete shutdown at certain temperatures.

How hot can the block get? I'd say around whatever the CPU is running at, which can be pretty hot, especially with no water flow.

How long? Well, think of it this way. How much metal is there in a waterblock? Not much compared to even a small heatsink. Think about how much water is in the waterblock, again, not much. With that little mass, it will heat up very fast and start throttling and hit "shutdown" temps within a few minutes.

My advice: If your worried about it (I doubt it will happen to you ;)), make sure the motherboard is capable of shutting down when the CPU hits x temperature. This will prevent throttling and CPU shutdown. It will prevent any damage to any components. ;)

The water isn't going to boil off all of a sudden. It will make some bubbles in your lines and then the rate of boiling will decrease as the pressure builds. Your CPU will die around that time. Even if the water will boil at 100 degrees, the CPU will be much hotter. Think of it like boiling a pot of water. Your stove is a lot hotter than 100 degrees, yet the boiling water remains at 100. Your cpu may survive 100 degrees, but it will get a lot hotter than that very fast if your pump stops working. With no heatsink, a modern processor will blow within about a second of turning on.

There was someone on here not too long ago that had a pump quit and the GPU block actually melted. The pics looked unbelievable.

The best precaution is to use a pump that has a fan sensor wire that can be plugged into the MB. That way, if it stops spinning, your MB kicks off the system before anything gets hot, not just your CPU.

I had a pump fail on me when I was phased. Gpu was watercooled and cpu had the mach1 prommy.

What happend was the gpu just fried. No waterblock meltdown, but the water in the lines got really warm, but not to the boiling point.

As some of the guys here just mentioned: Todays chips/Bios are capable of shutting down when it reaches a certain temperature. Sort of a fail-safe if properly setup and enabled.

a year or 2 ago i fried a gigabyte 965p s3... forgot my pump was off, pentium d 805 @ 4gb..... put a nice lil brown spot on the motherboard backside, otherwise everything physically looked ok... replaced the mobo and cpu.. but i recently tried the cpu and it still worked ok..

My last build, earilier this year, I had a short along one of the lines going to my pump. I didn't realize it until I had been playing WoW for about 5 or 10 minutes when the computer just slowed to a crawl and then shut down.

Abosuletly no damage done, other than spending an hour finding the short and doing some rewiring.

I guess the worst that could happen (and it has) is a derylin top water block getting hot enough and melting. Then soaking and killing the entire system.

My last build, earilier this year, I had a short along one of the lines going to my pump. I didn't realize it until I had been playing WoW for about 5 or 10 minutes when the computer just slowed to a crawl and then shut down.

Abosuletly no damage done, other than spending an hour finding the short and doing some rewiring.

Where have you been Jas? Haven't seen you around in quite a while.

Where have you been Jas? Haven't seen you around in quite a while.

Lol, um, lets see, moved, new job, got married, been a pretty eventful summer/fall.

Haven't had much time to poke around too much on the forums. I've visited a few times, but haven't posted anything in a WHILE.

Just ordered a new case and some new gear so, I'll be posting some pics and a summaryof my new build in the comming weeks.

Back