• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 733@1100 or 766@1150 on Asus P2B Rev. 1.02 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mark126

Hello there,
I have an Asus P2B Rev. 1.02 and want to upgrade my proc to a Celeron 733@1100 or 766@1150 (the higher Celerons are all 100 MHz per Default and I don't want to switch to 133 MHz on My P2B since I've only noname-100MHz-SDRAM )
I want to use a Golden Orb-Cooler and as Adapter whether an ASUS-one or the MSI 6905 Master rev.2 (does anybody know, where I can get one ?).

After reading all the Postings concerning Overclocking these Celerons using a Adapter on P2B, I hope that my efforts are succesfull.

But I'm not shure if 733 or 766 is my choice. Are both kinds same suitable for P2B ?

I'm a little unsure, because in the posting "Intel CPU's -> Help I Can't oveclock my Cleron 733" "Dread" and "Stealth" report about overclocking-problems with the 733 (i.e. on the P2B).

I've a A further question on the Voltage to be set on the adapter (maybe you'll find it silly - sorry then): Why has it always to be 1.80 V (like mostly said in the postings) ? The needed Voltage for the Celerons are different, for example : 733 and 766 need 1,50 Volt, 900 and 1000 and 1100 need 1,65 Volt - so why not 1,50 V or 1,65V ? .

So
Hope, that somebody can help me
Thanx
Mark

mark126 said:

I want to use a Golden Orb-Cooler and as Adapter whether an ASUS-one or the MSI 6905 Master rev.2 (does anybody know, where I can get one ?).

I've a A further question on the Voltage to be set on the adapter (maybe you'll find it silly - sorry then): Why has it always to be 1.80 V (like mostly said in the postings) ? The needed Voltage for the Celerons are different, for example : 733 and 766 need 1,50 Volt, 900 and 1000 and 1100 need 1,65 Volt - so why not 1,50 V or 1,65V ? .

I've only left the parts in the quote that I can *maybe help with. :)

The Gorbs are notorious (though I've never used one) for being inadequate coolers. What you use is your choice, but there are better ones out there that could help you achieve a higher OC.

I've seen the MSI slotket all over ebay. Might check there.

The voltages you've seen are higher than normal because the faster the OC, the more voltage it needs to continue stable processing. This correlates with the temperature too. A cooler CPU will need a bit less voltage to remain stable than a warmer one. There is probably some information on the voltage part on the front page under Beginner's Guides.

Good luck and Welcome to the Forums.

edit: Beginner's Guide linkified.

That thing with the Golden Orb surprises me, the Orb is often mentioned to be a good one in that forum, it is part of many configurations listed in that forum, in some tests is even praised.
But if you know better ones, please tell me (if they aren't double the price).

But what about my 733 <-> 766- question? if therer are no known problems with the 766 on an P2B i would of course prefer the 766.

A last question to the MSI 6905 again: Is it produced no longer or why is ebay the first choice to get one ? Which ASUS-Adapter is (roughly) adequate to the MSI (especially for my 733@1100 / 766@1150 on P2B)?

Mark

As I said, I've never used the Gorb. I'm just repeating advice from those who I trust. You can check with the guys in the Cooling forum for more ideas (I'm a fan of copper), or this link to the heatsink performance ratings off the front page.

I have no advice on the 733/766 question. I would think it would be just a matter of eeny, meeny, mynee, mo. :) The Intel CPUs section may be of some help there.

I didn't say that ebay was the first choice to get the MSI slotket, necessarily. But I did see them there while I was shopping for a slotket a few weeks ago. If you're not familiar with pricewatch, you might check them out. I'm far from knowledgeable about slotkets. I've only used one, and all I did there was set it and drop it in. Have only tried to tweak it once. I'll bet if you join the CPU and slotket issues and post in Intel CPUs, you'll get a load of (helpful) response... unlike mine. ;)

Hi
I'm running a celeron 633@950 on my P2B rev 1.02 using 1,85V. It shouldn't be a problem to run a 733celeron on FSB100 I think. But the 633 cels are 99% overclockable to 950.
I would say buying and trying ;-)

Important is the Bios revision. With the non-beta 1012 it didn't work. Then I got beta 1014_3 and everything is fine...

Lokk to get an Cel wit a Vcore of 1,75, they'll do best.

Good luck!

I forgot:

I'm using the asus- S370-DS Slotket and Vcore 1,85. No problems: Its Asus on Asus!

I'm using an GlobalWin FOP 32. Here in Germany it's about 25 $. But I don't think, that it's important wich cooler you choose for the celerons, because they consume around 25-30 Watts an that'S what comes out as heat.. An pentiumIII (30-35 Watts) or Athlon( 50+ W) cooler should do it anyway. Never had a problem with that.

If the cel doesn't run, tell me, I got a strange beta bios wich isn'z available anymore, but everything is fine, as i mentioned.

Sorry,when I made mistakes in writing ;-)

Hope I helped you.

WBR FAroukh

Thanks,
If will post my results, when I have upgrated, but this may be dated in February, since I've no time at the moment.

Mark

Back