• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolermaster vs Thermaltake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

`nzs1NtaX~

Registered
I've recently bought the Coolermaster Aquagate Mini R120 Kit from my local PC store. I didn't realise however that the Thermaltake Bigwater 735 was around the same price. I've been told that the Coolermaster isn't very efficient because of the very thin tubing. Its not expandable (unlike the Thermaltake). Would it be wise to sell the Coolermaster and buy the Thermaltake kit? I don't have a very big budget at all.

No, they are both horrible kits. Either make yourself a custom water loop, or just buy a high end air cooler.

I've had a high end cooler for a while before I got water. I used to get CPU temperatures of around 30-40 degrees with it. Since i've had water, i've been getting around 25 degrees.

What cooler was it? Those high-ish temperatures could be attributed to poor airflow around the heatsink, a poor mount, or improper use of thermal paste.

I guarantee you that neither of the kits you mentioned beats a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme with a medium speed Yate Loon.

Return/sell the coolermaster and purchase a custom setup. You may be thinking that you can't afford one, but think again.

For 125 dollars you can get:

Via Aqua 2300 - 23$
SwifTech MCR320 - 45$ (at jab-tech.com)
SwifTech Apogee GT - 41 (at jab-tech.com)
6 feet of tubing - 6$
Shipping - 10$

That setup will smoke any kit, for the same price

Edit: add 10 for fans

I'm in New Zealand so that would involve importing, and the costs involved to import it just aren't worth it. We have very poor access to Swiftech and Danger Den equipment here, so its mainly the kits that are being sold.

I'm in New Zealand so that would involve importing, and the costs involved to import it just aren't worth it. We have very poor access to Swiftech and Danger Den equipment here, so its mainly the kits that are being sold.

Than I am sorry to break it to you, but cheap pre built water cooling just does not work. Those puny kits will not do any better than a high end air setup but at the same time will be harder to maintain and will cost you more.

I'd sell the kit and move back to air, those kits perform poorly and are of questionable quality - ie. they may leak.

For example, I briefly used a thermaltake bigwater 735. After selling it and replacing it with high-end air (Thermalright Ultra-120), my CPU temperatures went down, although my case temp went up by one or two degrees.

Low-end kit watercooling is something to avoid at all costs

Okay, well thanks for your input. Will check out some decent air cooling products to replace it with. I have a clueless aquaintance that is interested in buying it close to what I got it for, so he can have the burden :) I'm such a good friend!

Can you recommend a top of the line high end cooler for LGA775? I have a decent amount to spend on something and case clearance isn't a problem with my (almost full tower) Coolermaster CM 690 Mid Tower.

What cooler was it? Those high-ish temperatures could be attributed to poor airflow around the heatsink, a poor mount, or improper use of thermal paste.

I guarantee you that neither of the kits you mentioned beats a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme with a medium speed Yate Loon.

How do you properly use the thermal paste? Asumne it is an AS5

Put a rice sized dot on the IHS of your processor and use a credit card or similair object to spread it evenly all over the IHS. Then put your heatsink on

I usually put more than that on. Probably around 2 to 2.5 grains worth (proportional of course) :) Anyway thats not the point. Can anyone recommend a good high end to top end CPU air cooler for LGA775?

I usually put more than that on. Probably around 2 to 2.5 grains worth (proportional of course) :) Anyway thats not the point. Can anyone recommend a good high end to top end CPU air cooler for LGA775?

On that E6550? Well, that is a fine example of improper use of thermal paste. A rice size grain is the optimal amount, anything more and you will compromise the better conductivity your heatsink/water block base has to offer.

Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme is the top air cooler.

Its huge! Wow. Well i'll measure the clearance I have. What about the Zalman 9700 LED Nvidia Branded edition?

Wont hold a candle to the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (TRUE 120 for shorthand :p)

TRUE 120 is the absolute best top of the line air cooler for socket 775 IMO. I also have its closest competitor (Tuniq Tower) and even the TT noticably underperforms the TRUE 120.

Regarding thermal paste application, I encourage anyone who is spreading with a credit card or overusing TIM to look HERE.

Ok, thanks for your quick and informing replies.

I've read up in the "TRUE 120" and apparently you must buy your own fan to attach to it. What fan would you recommend? Is it possible to attach a loon to it?

^yup, any 120mm fan will attach with the metal clips, if not zip ties will work.

here is what they say to do.

Back