• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It wasn't broke, so i fixed it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eye of the hawk

:mad:

Ok, system:

We got ourselves a hot and juicy E6600 smothered in 2gigs (2x1gig) of ram capable of running at PC6400 5-5-5-5-12 (corsair xms2) all on a plate of Asus p5b

K, anyways.

So i had been running it at 3.6ghz (9x400) for almost a year. The thing is is that i've never actually sat down and really given it a good run over. I just got it and it ran at 3.6 so i left it that way. Well, the other day i took my comptuer completely apart and reorganized, cleaned etc.

I replied thermal paste to my CPU, put some on my video card HS (that fixed THAT problem) and some on the northbridge (also added a pretty sweet little fan to that HS).

Booted it up and temps all around were down, i got the grand idea to funk with things.

So i installed the newest BIOS from asus (1801). Well, that was moronic. It wont even pass P95 at 3.5ghz now and I'm having all sorts of problems with it booting when overclocked.

I looked the bios up online and a lot of people wern't happy with it. Now it's not even on the website (they replaced it with a beta version, which is no better).

I'd like to revert back to an older version but am at a complete loss at how to do this.

Did you do a google search to see if you can find the older version? Maybe a user has it still?

Did you check their FTP site to see if it is still there?

Well you can usually get old bioses from teh asus website, then you just do with thta bios what you did with your previous bios update.

Did you do a google search to see if you can find the older version? Maybe a user has it still?

Did you check their FTP site to see if it is still there?

I guess i should have clarified. Asus actually keeps all the old ones up on their site, you just can't revert back from what i can tell.

The update software wont let me, nor will EZflash

I guess i should have clarified. Asus actually keeps all the old ones up on their site, you just can't revert back from what i can tell.

The update software wont let me, nor will EZflash
You have to use the floppy to roll back ;)

I'm kind of lost...how the heck do i get the computer to boot up DOS from the drive?

I'm told the p5B can...but umm, yeah.

I'm kind of lost...how the heck do i get the computer to boot up DOS from the drive?

I'm told the p5B can...but umm, yeah.
You will have to tell it to boot from the floppy or from removable devices or even sometimes it might be labeled as "Boot to USB" if your lucky :beer:

or just burn the ROM file to a cd,then on boot up hit alt+f2 to start the built awardflash bios update software.

or just burn the ROM file to a cd,then on boot up hit alt+f2 to start the built awardflash bios update software.

awardflash wont let me revert back either :bang head

Can't i just make a bootable CD and use asudos (which is what i'm told is the only way i'll be able to revert back to an older bios)?

Is there a reason it has to be an emulated floppy disk (or a real one)?

awardflash wont let me revert back either :bang head

Can't i just make a bootable CD and use asudos (which is what i'm told is the only way i'll be able to revert back to an older bios)?

Is there a reason it has to be an emulated floppy disk (or a real one)?
There will be a "force" flag that you need to do. Look up with that exe can do, example:

programname.exe /?

That will give the help list (may be -h or -help), it will list all the commands that you can give it.

There will be a "force" flag that you need to do. Look up with that exe can do, example:

programname.exe /?

That will give the help list (may be -h or -help), it will list all the commands that you can give it.

I'm not really sure what you're referring to. awardflash doesn't run in DOS.

I'm clueless right now.

I figured out why my PC wouldn't boot from the USB drive, i had to make the USB drive the 1st removable drive in the bios (hidden under 3 layers of submenus...)

Now that i did that the computer tries to boot from it but then i'm told that it can't read the disk.

I've tried formating in FAT, FAT 16, FAT 32...nothing seems to work
I've tried two different storage devices...everything. I'm at a loss.

I'm not really sure what you're referring to. awardflash doesn't run in DOS.

I'm clueless right now.

I figured out why my PC wouldn't boot from the USB drive, i had to make the USB drive the 1st removable drive in the bios (hidden under 3 layers of submenus...)

Now that i did that the computer tries to boot from it but then i'm told that it can't read the disk.

I've tried formating in FAT, FAT 16, FAT 32...nothing seems to work
I've tried two different storage devices...everything. I'm at a loss.
You need the program to flash it from dos ;)

Then you will be able to roll it back.

Back