• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB over 150 Corrupts Windows Files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big Sando

Registered
Please help.

I cannot set the FSB over 150Mhz without corrupting files that are required for Windows to boot. Every time I try I end up re-installing windows and sometimes re-formatting the entire HDD.

I currently have 1 stick of Crucial PC2100 DDR, which I thought was good stuff. The memory timings are the FAST setting in the BIOS. Everything that I have seen and read about Crucial was very positive. With my moherboard and RAM combination, I have seen multiple systems at 155 - 170Mhz. I also have another stick of RAM available if it would help solve the problem.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? If so, were you able to overcome it?

TYIA

i have had the same type of problem with my 850 chipset

the problem is that data basically gets scrambled around on your HDD at high FSB levels sometimes

some HDD tolerate it more than others

i hve a SCSI, which will tolerate the least

Big Sando said:

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? If so, were you able to overcome it?

TYIA

I've had that happen many times. Usually when it starts, I reset immediately and drop the FSB. That'll usually allow me to fix Windows before I lose it. The long term solution I've used on SDR has been to drop the CAS first, then memory bus speed (Abit has a minus PCI clock option). I've not used the memory timings (leave 'em at Turbo), so I don't know how adjusting those would work.

I'm not familiar with your board, but I've seen some sigs and posts that show voltage bumps for the RAM. Might be an option worth considering if you have it.

Some systems will not run over 150mhz FSB in cas-2. You may have to lower the cas to attain the high FSB.

Does CAS latency have an effect on stability?

I can boot into Windows up to 150Mhz FSB. However, the system is not stable beyond 148Mhz. Stability tested using Prime 95 Torture Test. Current CAS latency is 2 under FAST settings.

Big Sando said:
Does CAS latency have an effect on stability?

I can boot into Windows up to 150Mhz FSB. However, the system is not stable beyond 148Mhz. Stability tested using Prime 95 Torture Test. Current CAS latency is 2 under FAST settings.

It sure does and the fast settings also. I would lower them to normal when you want to do a massive FSB change. Not all memory will do 150, even if it is rated that.

i have had that problem too

Whenever i have ran into that problem i just increased my I/O voltage to take care of it. For me it seemed to be memory related becuse different sticks of ram would cause the same exact problem at differnent bus speeds. changing your latency should fix the problem but doesn't helpe you becuae is will of course decrease your performance so try I/O voltage thing first, change from 3.5 to 3.6. :)

Re: i have had that problem too

supergenius74 said:
Whenever i have ran into that problem i just increased my I/O voltage to take care of it. For me it seemed to be memory related becuse different sticks of ram would cause the same exact problem at differnent bus speeds. changing your latency should fix the problem but doesn't helpe you becuae is will of course decrease your performance so try I/O voltage thing first, change from 3.5 to 3.6. :)

I've been having the same problems. My old (and CRAPPY) generic ram could do 145 but 150 would give windows errors. It'd go so far into the boot sequence then freeze. I'd then have to "go to last known good point" and it'd be fixed. The same thing happens now with my crucial at 145+ x 11.5. At 12 it won't even do 12.

Until doing some studying today I really didn't know much about RAM voltage and didn't mess around with it not knowing what I was doing. But I think I'll have to try bumping it up a bit and see how it helps. After all, I still have my old stick and a warranty if this one gets toasted :)

Effects of not enabling DMA

Okay, to see how the DMA setting would affect the performance on my HDD, I ran the SiSoft Sandra Drive Benchmark. Here are the results:

DMA enabled: 23360

DMA not enabled: 6936

Obviously, it makes a huge difference. Does it make sense to not enable the DMA on the HDD only so one can raise the FSB? It seems like that would be robbing Peter to pay Paul (I think that's how it goes?!?).

well...put it this way, benchmark is an index for comparison it doesn't reflect the adverse impact in the reality unless you use fps in Q3

the turning off pio method is used by people who o/c to > 170...

so if Q3 shows that the FramePS dropped to unacceptable level despite increased front side bus consider get more ram and get a ram disk

:)

UPDATE

I de-activated the DMA option in the Device Manager, and I was able able to get the system stable at 149 MHz. This seemed to pose some promise for getting higher FSB speeds.

I then upped it to 150MHz, and it would not complete 3DMark2001. So..I went into the BIOS and changed the System Performance to Normal, and I was able to complete 3DMark2001. However, my score dropped from 3680 to 3666. It will also not complete Prime 95.

Are there any other settings in the BIOS that might help me achieve a higher FSB speed? Mainly, I am asking in regards to the different PIO and DMA Modes for the various devices.

AFAIK that's no more for HDD. If your Bios can do that, otherwise via Wpcrset/wpcredit, slow down your RAM to 333-68. That will also override your SPD in the Ram modules.

AFAIK that's no more for HDD. If your Bios can do that, otherwise via Wpcrset/wpcredit, slow down your RAM to 333-68. That will also override your SPD in the Ram modules.

SOIL,

Can you please clarify what you meant by the above. What is AKAIK? What is not for the HDD? If my BIOS can do what? What do you mean by slow down RAM to 333-68?

TYIA

Big Sando said:

SOIL,

Can you please clarify what you meant by the above. What is AKAIK? What is not for the HDD? If my BIOS can do what? What do you mean by slow down RAM to 333-68?

TYIA

as far as I know there is no more tweaks can be done to HDD

to o/c more the ram timing can be set to slowest which is 333-68, this can be done through WPCREDIT or maybe Bios

Back