• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IX38 Quad GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yea there is a newer beta how much better it is i duuno...

im looking at the x48-max

the second gen pwm's are supposly better, there are 2 guys here i think that test abit x38 Quad GT but yea the bios is holding it back. i only said X48 cause abit scrapped the X38-max(ddr3) board. that mean that X48 boards are DDR3 only, there is no talk of anyone releasing a X48 with ddr2. as X38/x48 strong suite is DDR3 memory, that is why X38 doesnt show any performance gain over p35 clock per clock.

I love the Power and Reset buttons on the mobo! Also, I can't think of a handier item than an external Clear CMOS button on the back. All mobo makers ought to start offering those.

end of life afaik & it was for 2nd gen uGuru not the current 3rd gen..
There was supposed to be a new GP-03 & it was meant to be bundled with the MAX but for some reason it got cancelled at a a very late stage (samples had been sent to abit offices) although I have heard rumours that there will still be a new 1.

There's a few things trhey should have included:-
See post#2
More info at rdrash Abit IX38 QuadGT intial results!
&
Bit-TechAbit IX38 QuadGT

luck:)

Thanks for the plug Supershanks.

OP: If Abit hasn't released an updated BIOS to cure the many many problems with IX38 (and I haven't checked) and you plan to OC at all...then in IMHO you should stay away from the IX38. I actually gave mine away to someone who will not be OC'ing because I was so frustrated with the freezing BIOS, settings not sticking, settings working once then not working again. Even with the clear CMOS switch on the back (which is a nice feature if it works) I still had to pull out one ram stick, boot into BIOS reset settings, shut down, put ram back in, power-up..more times then I can count just to recover from minor adjustments that froze. If you are up for a serious challenge or perhaps there is a newer BIOS (11 was the last one I used)...then ok, the IX38 does have some bright spots...good luck to you.

there is a new beta release for the IX38 mobo, if i recall is a b02 bios... not sure what if anything if fixed beyond the multi not working correctly...

i would follow rdash as if i was going to buy the IX38 i would wait for newer bios's. i do have to admit abit let me down when they did this. cause the past couple of boards they have released they have had the best bios's out of the box.

Thanks for the plug Supershanks.
No problems m8 , it's a great resource:) Sad news though thought you were getting fond of it last time we talked. I got a new beta bios given this week & tried it Gilgamesh's BTA M704B_12.B03 Gilgamesh is fairly close to Abit & has supplied me with both 12 bta. He got his review board finally this weel 1st was damaged , shoddy packaging caused it.( see post#2 in my thread)

He dioesn't seem too immpressed so far:( I must admit i'm still enjoying it, biggest frrustration is the poor keyboard detection on post & getting into bios.

Any plans for replacement??

Luck:0

No problems m8 , it's a great resource:) Sad news though thought you were getting fond of it last time we talked. I got a new beta bios given this week & tried it Gilgamesh's BTA M704B_12.B03 Gilgamesh is fairly close to Abit & has supplied me with both 12 bta. He got his review board finally this weel 1st was damaged , shoddy packaging caused it.( see post#2 in my thread)

He dioesn't seem too immpressed so far:( I must admit i'm still enjoying it, biggest frrustration is the poor keyboard detection on post & getting into bios.

Any plans for replacement??

Luck:0

Begin Hijack...

Supershanks, I bought an ASUS Maximus Extreme...some decent DDR3 (will upgrade these later) and a QX9650 to replace my IX38, DDR2, and E6850/QX6700...MIAHALLEN got the CPUs (when he decides which one he likes better B3 quad or G0 Dual he'll return one), another friend got the board and ram.

End Hijack....

Sorry OP :beer:

PS2

ASUS Maximus Extreme...some decent DDR3 (will upgrade these later) and a QX9650
Whoa Santa did look after you:) DDR3 is a bit out my league atm uintil it comes down a bit:)

I'll keep an eye open for your review of that then:)

Luck:)

Back