• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NOt reading boot disk!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathScyth_Hell

hi everyone...
i'm helping my bro upgrade his comp and gave him my old mobo and cpu to him...the mobo is asus cusl2-c ...everything is running...but for some reason it won't read the startup disk that i have...i was planning to format the hd after i installed everything...when i start the machine i inserted the startup disk...then it reads it and all of a sudden it stops reading it and the comp just freezes...and everytime i press enter the light on the floppy drive lights up but nothing happens...can someone tell me whats wrong...

Thx a lot guys!

when you force it to access the floppy, does it actually access it? Any familar floppy drive noises? Make sure the floppy cables are plugged in. You may have a corrupted boot disk. Give it a try on your system if possible. Otherwise, make a new one. Sounds to me like you're wanting to install win98? Go with win2k. No need for bootdisk, that is, unless your bro's comp cannot handle it.

the floppy drive works...when i went to win98 and everything is like a screwy after the upgrade...it could read the disk in win 98...and the boot disk works on my comp...
Don't i need the boot disk to work the cdrom in dos??...

If i type "format c: /s" will the cd rom work without the boot disk?

I'm pretty sure there is a option in BIOS to boot from CD-Rom, use that option and make sure the WIN98 cd is in the CD-Rom.

It will say something like this:
1 Boot from Harddisk
2 Boot from CD

Choose Boot from CD (2)

After that it will ask if you want to install win98, not sure if it makes a difference if you say no, but when you say yes it will tell you that you can not install win98 because its already installed.

To make it a bit shorter, you'll end up in DOS.

Go to your CD-Rom (D:\, E:\ or whatever) type 'CD win9x' (could be win98) and then type Format, Fdisk or any other (DOS)command.

That should do it (at least it works with WinME)

Booting from the cd didn't work...all the cables are right cuz i can read floppies in dos...but for some reason it won't boot with the floppy...whats WRONG!...PLZ HELP ME!!!

Does it just freeze when try reading off it?

Do you see the floppy led flash when it tries to boot off the floppy.

Try a reflash bios ?

Back