• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this WC any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dzha2000

Registered
ok I'm new to water cooling, never done a WC system before, but now seriously thinking of getting one. this is what I found. can anyone tell me if it's any good? if so how about the price? can I do the same for less? is there anything you would do different?

I have C2D E6600. ABIT IP35 pro mobo. 8800 GTX superclocked.

I want to cool everything down: CPU, NB, 8800, I don't plan to go SLI. I'm willing to mod my Xaser III case, as well as mount rad on the outside, basically anything I need to do to keep my temps down. noise .. hhm .. I want as silent system as possible but not to extreme where performance will suffer.

The general consensus is that kits aren't generally the best idea if you can make your own setup, and for $270 you could build urself a pretty tidy kit.

That pump looks pretty weak and im not sure about the blocks.

The general consensus is that kits aren't generally the best idea if you can make your own setup, and for $270 you could build urself a pretty tidy kit.

any suggestion then ?? as I said I'm new to this so any help is appreciated.

I know that kits a usually bad, but I thought that people are talking about kits like bigwater from thermaltake and so on. the kits which have everything build in.

I've never seen anything particularly great about the Asetek kits. I did however get a http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecogpuel.html dropped off at my door from UPS the other day, and all of the components are ones that you can find a lot of discussion about, usually pretty positive.

The petra kits are suposed to be some of the best cos basically they just put together normal high quality parts.

sorry i didnt post a suggestion erlier

You may be ok with just one loop with a triple rad. You may want to consider two loops. Anyway some good part to look at are:
Pump: mcp-600 or 655 or mcp-350 or 355
CPU block: Apogee GT
GPU block: EK makes a good one from what I have read
Rad: mcr-320-qp

These are just some parts that I have seen good reviews or have used myself and would get them myself if i didnt already have them. You can use a t line so that you dont have to have a res. Hope this gets you a start. Remember you can look at old threads for ideas too. The search function can do wonders.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything else.

You may be ok with just one loop with a triple rad. You may want to consider two loops. Anyway some good part to look at are:

These are just some parts that I have seen good reviews or have used myself and would get them myself if i didnt already have them. You can use a t line so that you dont have to have a res. Hope this gets you a start. Remember you can look at old threads for ideas too. The search function can do wonders.

yeah thanx for the info. I did read old threads got some ideas, I was mainly wondering about this kit and if it's any good.

I question to which I wasn't able to find answer for, and it's very basic don't forget I'm new to this, how does two loops diff from one loop setup. also, how the water suppose to go through the system, I mean like CPU -> GPU -> NB or any other way? sorry I didn't do research on that part yet, so I figure maybe someone be kind enough to answer me and save some time LOL :D

Is This or This might be a good option for GPU cooling og my 8800 ?

That kits has some good parts, and some not so good parts. The CPU black isn't bad, but it's not great either. The Radiator is a good one, although you could get better performance form a smaller radiator (depending on fans) such as a BIX 2 (120.2), a BI GTS 240 (120.2), or a PA 120.2.

But, your biggest issue with that kit is the pump (it's a modded Ehiem, and under powered for this loop, it is queit though). You can have all the radiator power in the world, but if the coolant isn't moving around quick enough, your temps will definately suffer.

That being said, if all you want to do is cool your Pc adequately and nearly silently, and you are not concerned with extreme cooling power, then yes, that kit will work. However, if you want performance too...

My suggestions for a Silent machine that kicks boo-tay
Swiftech apogeee CPU block
Swiftech MCW30 chipset block
GPU block (take your pic, Swifteck, Dtek, or Danger den, all perform on par with eachother, optionally you can cool your ram too with a swiftech MCW RAMcool block as well)
D5 (mcp655) pump
BI GTS 360 radiator (PA120.3 would be more ideal, but costs ~ twice as much)

Now, a few things to ask:

A) do you REALLY need to cool your GPU and Chipset as well? Probbaly not unless you already have a heat issue, want to do some extreme over clocks, or want a silent system. True performance comes wiht a price, whether that be silence, or extreme speed. A happy medium can be found for cheaper though. So think about it.

B) Did you take some time and browse/search this forum till you could barely stand it? If not, I recomend doing so. There is a ton of Info to be gleamed. You can get plenty of ideas and suggestions for what you REALLY need to do as far as water cooling your particular system to meet your needs.

C) DO you have the Money to spend? There are som ethings you can do to reduce your costs. But not a whole lot when you are setting out to purchase a major WC setup all in one go. It's would be far better wo spend money on less stuff, but higher quality stuff now, than to spend the same amoutn of money on lower quality stuff may not do what you really think it will.

D) Lets assume you are going to cool your GPU, lets talk about the Ram. The Asetek kit does not come with a ram cooler. Now I'm not sure if it comes with RAM sinks or not, if it doesn't GET SOME. If yo uprefer to build your own setup, same thing holds true, get RAM SINKS. If you decide to WC your RAM too, My personal preference is to go with the split block system. Block for the GPU, block for the RAM, this system SHOULD be portable to another graphics card in the future, unlike most of the all in one units.

The coolermaster and that thermaltake seem to be large and useless. Why do they have fans? You'd probably get better results using a $50 block and passive heatsinks for the ram/etc and just have a quiet 120mm fan in the case blowing past it. Plus, you'd be using a waterblock that's proven to be good, while thermaltake, coolermaster, etc don't exactly have the best reputations when it comes to kits.

Back