• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best mobo + cpu + ram for new gaming rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gessfk

I'm so out of the Computer right now..is there a definitive "awesome" board for the new dual or quad intel cpus? I just read the guy's review on one above from DFI that seemed pretty good..is it tested and true? I like my Ultra-D, and he made it sound like it's the new Ultra-D of Intel mobos. Also looking to throw like 4gb into the beast. Will this hurt overclocking still?

I've never used intel before. I've never read about ddr2 ram, either..but I assume buying pretty much any old ram would be fine. Ddr3? Advantageous, worth the money? Would 2gb ddr3, be better than 4gb ddr2?

Just looking to build up a system that'll last be a couple more years before I have to make another new system. I just bought an 8800gt 512 to go in it, if this makes any type of difference.

well the main question is how much can you spend and are you willing to wait till january... cause imo right now with 45nm launch so close. i think its in your best interest to get one of those since your not upgrading for a couple of years. in the long run the 45nm cpus will save you money cause they use lower power then the 65nm cpu's. at stock and same clock,system setup the cpu change alone was a 20% drop in power usage.

if you go in january, im just going to assume no sli or cf for the fact you have a NV card now.

Q9450
Abit IP35-Pro or other equal board. if you want sli as a option 780i will be out dec 12th, as the top of the line 680i boards are no longer listed for retail. the 680I only support 45nm dual cores, not the quads.
4gig 2x2gig kit currently $129 for a ddr2-1000 kit
620watt psu, highly suggest the corsair HX620.

yeah, been kinda reading about that new 45nm coming out.. i still want to build it right now while on vacation ,but i guess i'll try to wait. Knowing my luck, the video card i ordered, won't even work with win2k..>_<

well my suggestion buy all the parts now ... pick up a a Celeron-L 420/430 or even a E2140/E2160 that way you have your new rig. then just wait for the 45nm prices to even out to where they are at MSRP levels or closer to them.

Back