• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

680i fried my C2D E6550??? help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seekeroftruth

Registered
Hello, new guy here.
I recently bought a xfx 680i ISH9 and hooked it up as I should. I removed a e6550 from my vostro400 (about a month old working fine) and I very carefully cleaned the thermal paste, only holding the edges, and after it was clean I placed it directly into the xfx board socket. I then added some arctic silver 5 to the heatsink (stock) and attached the heat sink to the processor. So I turn it on and it doesnt post, the fans spin for a half a sec then cut out(no post, no sound, no code). after hours of troubleshooting I find that the cpu is dead. What are your opinions? could a board do this? I used my corsair 620 HX power supply which I know works fine... Im afraid to try another processor because if its just going to fry it.. it would be a waste of money. Again I was very carefull with the processor, I grounded myself, didnt even place it down, held it very carefully(edges only) placed it in the socket correctly. I'm at a loss. Thanks all,
Tom Mc.

The tech guys helped me narrow it down to the cpu. with nothing in the mobo (no cpu, ram)the northbridge fan will keep on, but when I hook in the cpu it doesnt do much, just runs a half second. I took the board to a computer shop and they tested the c2d in their mobo and they said it was dead. I also tried it in my original vostro 400 and it had the same symptoms

Voltage problem with the board?
If the only thing that you have changed from you previous set up is the motherboard, then it must be the motherboard that is doing it. What other changes have you made?

Yeah, the only thing different was a case (thermaltake armor full) and the board. Im sending the board with XFX's RMA program. They swear I damaged the cpu :p. There was one difference I guess, I used the 8 pin connector and I havent used it before... I gues it could be a faulty 8 pin connector on my corsair 620? I have only used the 4 pin in the past.

I used the 8 pin connector and I havent used it before... I gues it could be a faulty 8 pin connector on my corsair 620? I have only used the 4 pin in the past.

well, i'm very curious to know the root cause here as i have the exact same mobo and psu for a build i plan to assemble next weekend. keep us posted if you learn anything

Back