• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcennis3

Registered
http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/CCAM/tualatin(4).htm

I've searched the forum and getting conflicting answers about overclocking ram (surprise)some say you can, some say you can't. The above shows 256 Mushkin PC133 Rev. 3+ RAM on Pentium III 1.2 ...it beats ddr on AMD and close to Rdram. I have 512 megs of MICRON PC133 CAS2 SDRAM and though my CPU and MultiMedia do beat the AMD and P4 (2.0)...my ram test at 475/484 vs. the Mushkin at 967/1083....notice the Muskin is 808/897 w/out overclocking. I have an Abit VH6T mobo (w/ P3 1.2) and was wondering if anyone knew how I might be able to improve the ram with Softmenu III. It seems like I read that the ABIT does not automatically cause everything else to run faster and you could do individual tweaks but I could be wrong about that.

There is much you have to do to sucessively increase your FSB. You have good RAM but does everything else support it? has other people acheived higher FSB with YOUR M/B? This is something you have to learn everything about before you blame it on the RAM. Many SDRAM chipsets cannot get high FSB. Which do you have? I am not that familiar with Abit boards?

Well aside from raising the RAM bus speeds you can first of all make sure your ram timings are at Cas2 (since by default it'll usually be Cas3). You can also put your memory into force interleave mode (2 or 4) and that should increase your bandwidth a bit.

I'm not blaming anything on the RAM (or anything else)...like I said, my CPU and Multimedia test beat the Athlons and Pentium 4 2.0 (SiSoft Sandra)...just comparing the Mushkin with my Micron and trying to optimize everything. That is why I am asking the questions...to learn everything I can. I do need to upgrade my video card. I see the average at CPU data base is 1530 and I'm just trying to figure out how to get there...getting close now (newbie at most of this). Thanks for all helpful advise...I will switch the cas to 2 and see what happens.

_Will_ said:
Well aside from raising the RAM bus speeds you can first of all make sure your ram timings are at Cas2 (since by default it'll usually be Cas3). You can also put your memory into force interleave mode (2 or 4) and that should increase your bandwidth a bit.

How do you make sure all the RAM is CAS 2? Mine is CAS 2.5....can I lower that!?

How do I put it into Force Interleave 2 or 4? What is this?

Well, lowered the timing (CAS to 2 from 3) and wouldn't boot...Interleave is already at 4.

I finally got a definitive answer to my question from searching google. Where the difference with RDRAM SiSoft memory benchmark was 350% before...it is now only 75%! with just a few tweaks! I'll keep looking for other ram tweaks to see if I can get it higher.

That's one drawback to the VH6-T motherboard it has no memory voltage adjustment. Raising the memory voltage from the defaul will often allow higher overclock's and or lower memory timing's.
I was able to get 160mhz with mushkin rev 3+ on this board but I doubt you would need anything near that fsb with the 1.2 celeron-t. The mushkin rev2 will do 150 cas 2-2-2 easily at a lower price.

GaDaLf, here is a good place to read up on what the memory setting's for your board do.

http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/asus_a7v266e/6.shtml

Using Sisoft Sandra will show the current cas setting for your motherboard in the mainboard section of the program.
You can get sandra here:

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra

Last edited:
Back