• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg Purchase Damage on Arrival

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lolek

Registered
Hey cats.

So if any of you have seen my posts in other threads, you'll see I made my first purchase from Newegg about a week ago. A Thermaltake Armor 8003.

Great case, great price, $80 MIR I haven't made good on yet. Here's why.

When I opened the box, took the thing out, the back panel was smashed in enough to make the "lip" useless, and the top of the case doesn't align properly in the front. I imagine I can fix these things myself if I really need to, but...

Well, reading TT's general warranty policy, I am not covered by them. I imagine Newegg isn't responsible for UPS' screwups either (since this is definitely shipping damage).

What can I do, if anything? I figured I'd check here first, before sending in the MIR and possibly ruining my chances.

Does Newegg honor replacement from shipping damage?

Newegg will RMA just about anything for nearly anything.

Call them up and tell them that the case was damaged when you opened it, i doubt they'll ask you much...

You should be able to RMA it through Newegg. However, you will have to pay return shipping costs. The only way out of that is to decline delivery upon inspection of the box when the package is delivered.

Just log in, go to your order history, and choose the RMA option.

I'd call them up first. There may be a slight chance that they can pay for shipping since you aren't even at fault for this. But either way i'm fairy certain they'll help you out with getting a replacement.

Similar situation happened to me before. I bought a case from newegg and it came in damaged. Call up new egg. They will definitely RMA your case. Also, they will work with you in regards to the return shipping cost.

Sweet. One thing, though.. What about the MIR? I know I can't RMA it if I send in the MIR, but the MIR has to be sent out in 14 days. Something tells me I can't RMA -And- get my rebate. :p

I'm new to this ,bear with me guys.

Well if you bought the case, the case arrived damaged, you want to RMA it so you get a new undamaged case back ( which is the same one), I would get the rebate done. It's not like you're switching cases, you're getting a new replacement.

Newegg is good about RMA's and such.

Well if you bought the case, the case arrived damaged, you want to RMA it so you get a new undamaged case back ( which is the same one), I would get the rebate done. It's not like you're switching cases, you're getting a new replacement.

Newegg is good about RMA's and such.
But will they honor the RMA if I've cut the UPC off to send out for the MIR? Maybe I misread someplace, but they patently refuse returns if the MIR has been sent out ,don't they?
Hoi... Thanks again for the help you guys, I really appreciate this.

the rebate question sounds like something to talk to newegg about.

That's what I was thinking. Not in a position to do so right now (finals review~), but I'll take care of it when I'm home. :)

Still, anyone with some insight'd be great. <3

Newegg.com said:
Physical Damage Policy

Physically damaged items cannot be returned to Newegg.com.

Improper installation of CPU fans and/or improper clocking may cause CPUs to chip. CPUs that are chipped, burnt or have bent/broken pins are considered physically damaged and cannot be returned for refund or replacement. Physical damage includes (but is not limited to) improper handling and any other type of damage sustained by irregular use.

Newegg.com encounters bent pins regularly when inspecting physically damaged CPUs. Forcing a processor into position will not solve an installation problem and may void your Newegg.com return policy.

If you return any physically damaged item to Newegg.com, the item will be returned to you at your expense.
And
Newegg.com said:
Mail In Rebate Policy
Products missing UPC codes or serial numbers from the box are NOT returnable.

Products offering mail-in rebates are not returnable to Newegg.com once the rebates have been filed. Be sure that the product is functional and that you intend to keep the product before sending in for your rebate. Products missing UPC codes or serial numbers from the box are NOT returnable. Only the product manufacturer can replace any defective item missing the UPC code.

And I don't even know that the MIR will be applicable with the new UPC from a new chassis.
I think I'll just wing it and try to repair the damn thing.

And

And I don't even know that the MIR will be applicable with the new UPC from a new chassis.
I think I'll just wing it and try to repair the damn thing.

Call them. You're not responsible for the damages.

Do not cut that UPC label out. If you don't return the UPC you won't get a replacement unless they really overlook it. Returning it without that label will set you up for rebate fraud and, yes, it does exist.

You might even want to explain the situation and they may actually discount the rebate amount on the replacement (if a replacement causes the rebate to expire/become invalid).

Call them. You're not responsible for the damages.

Do not cut that UPC label out. If you don't return the UPC you won't get a replacement unless they really overlook it. Returning it without that label will set you up for rebate fraud and, yes, it does exist.

You might even want to explain the situation and they may actually discount the rebate amount on the replacement (if a replacement causes the rebate to expire/become invalid).

Yeah... Duh on me. :shrug:
Their offices don't open until 8 PST, so I have another hour and a half to mill about. On that note, anything I should definitely have ready when calling?

Well, ****.

Okay. First, Newegg customer support is awesome. I got ahold of someone without a problem, explained why I wanted to RMA the case. He looked at the old rebate, says it should fit within the 20-day window I have to send the UPC and invoice in.

Except not. Possibly.
They suppose if I send the case out Monday, they will receive it Thursday (12/13).
The purchase was made on 11/27. That means I need to have TT's rebate POSTMARKED by 12/17

If they get the case Thursday, and send a new one out Friday with UPS 3-day ground (12/14), then it will probably not get here until MONDAY (12/17).
The same day the UPC has to be in the mail system.

Am I boned or what~?

That's why I would try and get them to honor the rebate themselves...or have them overnight/2-day the package to you.

It can't hurt to try.

That's why I would try and get them to honor the rebate themselves...or have them overnight/2-day the package to you.

It can't hurt to try.

If it doesn't pan out, that's the plan. I did have one great stroke of luck, though.
Turns out I can get this thing down to the local UPS store -today-. That might considerably help my chances of getting the replacement before 12/17, no? It beats shipping it Monday, and UPS will pick it up (plausibly) today, if not tomorrow. It's better than Monday!

You should be able to RMA it through Newegg. However, you will have to pay return shipping costs. The only way out of that is to decline delivery upon inspection of the box when the package is delivered.

Just log in, go to your order history, and choose the RMA option.

Incorrect, newegg does a investigation and sends you a new item. I've had several things damaged and repaired. I've never paid shipping for returns on any item though even after 30 days.

Ok, before the confusion comes peeking in, I hope Lolek did'nt misunderstand what I posted about the rebate. So i'll clarify: As Jon posted a valid point. I did'nt suggest to send in the rebate while the damaged case was being returned back to newegg. That indeed would be fraud. What I meant was you can still use the rebate on the same case which will be replaced with a new one. Only thing holding you back is the time frame of which the rebate will be honored.

My apologies if there was a misunderstanding :) Thx Jon for that info.

Ok, before the confusion comes peeking in, I hope Lolek did'nt misunderstand what I posted about the rebate. So i'll clarify: As Jon posted a valid point. I did'nt suggest to send in the rebate while the damaged case was being returned back to newegg. That indeed would be fraud. What I meant was you can still use the rebate on the same case which will be replaced with a new one. Only thing holding you back is the time frame of which the rebate will be honored.

My apologies if there was a misunderstanding :) Thx Jon for that info.

Don't worry mate, I figured it out. ;) Thanks.
Jon, too. Thank you very much.

Incorrect, newegg does a investigation and sends you a new item. I've had several things damaged and repaired. I've never paid shipping for returns on any item though even after 30 days.
Exactly what's happening here. They gave me a shipping label, I printed it out and am taking it to UPS in about five minutes. Wish me luck : /

Turns out the alternative was a $25 dollar credit to my account (while keeping the item??). While spending an overall of 63 bucks for the Armor sounds nice (and NOT risking my MIR), I figure I'd be happier this way~
Needless to say, my dad disagrees. Meh. Whatever :p

I'll report back in a bit.

Update: Well, dropped off, and it's going out tonight. Sweet. Bonus points to Newegg for friendly customer service and accommodation~

Last edited:
Turns out I can get this thing down to the local UPS store -today-. That might considerably help my chances of getting the replacement before 12/17, no? It beats shipping it Monday, and UPS will pick it up (plausibly) today, if not tomorrow. It's better than Monday!

All depends on their pick up time. I doubt they pick up on Sat. and if they do it will not start moving until monday.

Back