• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't identify problem, possibly Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axsuul

Registered
This problem pertains to a rig I put together 3 months ago and there has been no problems until recently. I started getting errors in windows and in different applications about missing windows files and whatnot. Restarted computer and then I started to get blue screens right after windows loaded and could not boot into the OS (but I could still boot into safe mode). Ran memtestx86 and it was failing test so I removed one stick of ram (i have 2x1gb) and problem gone, boot into windows fine, no more blue screens. So then I proceeded to put back the stick of ram back in and windows booted up fine (and therefore I thought maybe perhaps the stick of ram was loose). Ran Orthos, everything was fine, stable for 7 hours (specs are in sig). Left my computer idle and came back later in the day to find another blue screen. Restarted computer, booted into winxp fine, and ran orthos and was unstable after 3 seconds of testing. Then I tested each ram stick with memtestx86 and orthos and ran fine, put both sticks back in, ran orthos fine again, but AGAIN later in the day came back, computer blue screened and orthos is no longer stable. Can anyone identify or know what could be causing this, perhaps faulty motherboard? Thanks for your time.

did you try reinstalling windows? you may have bad sectors on your hdd and reinstalling the os should overlook these sectors. I think seagate has some diagnostic s/w on their website that is model specific that you could try first. did you ground yourself when you built the pc? (esd) though very seldom, weird inconsistent problems like these could be traced back to esd.

Yep, I did ground myself while building the PC, but I built the PC almost 3 months ago and so far it didn't have any problems until just recently. I initially also suspected bad sectors on hard drive but why isn't orthos stable?

nvm just saw the part i asked about....

bet one of your ram sticks died... its happening more latly with newer batches of the D9 high speed ic's...rma time my friend, your not the first or the last..

Back