• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i815EP MB's with 64Meg AGP Aperture limit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trashcan

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at upgrading to the upcoming Celeron Tualatin 1.0a or 1.1a and need a motherboard to go with it. I've read a lot of good things about the Abit ST6, but I noticed in the manual that it only supports up to 64Megs AGP Aperture size. I'm guessing all i815EP chipsets are limited to this.

Will this a problem if I put my Geoforce 3 card in a i815EP MB? I thought you would need 128Meg aperture for GF3 cards to run at their best in games that use large textures. My current P3V4X is set for 128Meg aperture size with my GF3. (512Megs system RAM)

My concern is I don't want to plunk down the cash on this CPU/MB combo just to find out that my GF3 cannot be used to its full potential in the new games coming out. I'd probably be better off saving my money for an Althon or P4.

I have considered the Abit VH6T as an option, as the Via chip allows at least 128Meg aperture size.(not to mention it allows more than 512Meg of system memory) But, I hear it is probably not as good of an overclocker and I would like to get around 1.5Ghz out of the Celeron.

Should I be worried about this "limitation" or is 64Meg aperture enough in todays games and the near future releases?

Thanks

All 815's have this limit. I run a GF3 on a CUSL2 and it runs just fine. With 64 meg of video ram, the AGP aperature size is not an issue. I will also be getting a 1.0A and clocking it up to 1.5 on a 150 MHz FSB. The ST6 and GigabyteGA-60XET are the boards I'm looking at.

if ytou feel you need more than 512 ram or more than 64 aperture (shouldnt make a difference) there are some nice VIA based mobos out there (The VH6T(same as VH6)/TUV4X(same as CUV4X/P3V4X))

Thanks for you replies.

Yes oldfart, I did find out (at least in 3DMark2001) that setting the aperature down to 64Megs didn't affect my scores at all. (Should have done this before I posted) This should be a good indicator of any new games being released.

So it does look like the ST6-R will be my MB to get. The regular ST6 doesn't seem to be around in my area, but those extra 4 IDE ports using RAID will be nice in the ST6-R. I have a couple 5400RPM UDMA66 20Meg HD's sitting around doing nothing. RAID 0 should be great on those for video capturing because I am using 4 IDE ports right now and I'm tight for HD space.

The VH6T is still a 2nd option for me. I just need to decide if I need to use more than 512Megs of system memory. But for the low cost of this upgrade, I probably only plan on running this system as my main PC for about a year.

vid card onboard memory + AGP aperture size = total memory availible for 3d texturing.

I've yet to see a game that uses more than 64MB of textures total. Set it to whatever you want and it should be fine.

Mine is changable from 4-16-32-64-128 MB aperture. No speed differences no matter what I pick, although 3dMark will crash at the 64mb tests if I set it too low, of course. No other app seems to care either way, and 3dMark don't count.:D

Thank you for answering my question I didnt ask yet, actually I asked Mr.B but he never replied to my PM ( I think Skip told him to ignore me as I'll tell you about why below)

Anyway I have a SH6 that I got from Skip and I was perplexed why I couldnt raise the AGP aperture above 64

I was about to do some more digging to see if a newer Bios flash made this possible to exceed 64, but I see that the i815 are limited to 64

Bummer........but I still dig this Mobo

Skip wanted it back after he sold it to me and even threatened to change my forum name to Stainless_SteelsinkSam as Stainless steel just downright sucks as a thermal conduit.

Skip already changed my name once from Sam and I lost all my stars (but thats when the forums changed )

I keep tellin Skip a deals a deal, and I may never get to be a senior member but I am a man of princible. :)

Thermal Conductivity, W/cm-K
Metals
Aluminum 2.165
Beryllium 1.772
Beryllium-copper 1.063
Brass 70% copper, 30% zinc 1.220
Copper 3.937
Gold 2.913
Iron .669
Lead .343
Magnesium 1.575
Molybdenum 1.299
Monel .197
Nickel .906
Platinum .734
Silver 4.173
Stainless Steel-321 .146
Stainless Steel-410 .240
Steel, low carbon .669
Tin .630
Titanium .157
Tungsten 1.969
Zinc 1.024

to silversinksam

Man o man, that is funny...:D no mean to offend u tho.:) Anyway, i think long time ago, i saw skip wrote a pp about u on the front page!! If my memory serves me right, it goes like this, "after i sold my hoard to that guy, i have not heard from him no more, that ungraceful .......¡¨ maybe he was talking about other people, i don't know, just hope i won't see "stainlessinksam someday."

Back