• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

o/c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neilcha

Registered
im quite new to O/C so for starters im just using the % o/c in the asus bios , everything works great when i go for a 10% o/c but when i do 15%/20% o/c my NB volts go up from 1.25 to 1.54 then my asus probe 11 starts beeping and the N/B volts show in red ,, is that N/B volts to high and dangerous ??

also
A 20% o/c takes me to 2.9 ghz , temps stay around 29c idle 40c load but i would really like to get to the big 3ghz could someone give me a few pointers on how to get to 3ghz , also i can not find in my bios where to up the fsb only the multiplier, i can do it through windows in asus Ai booster but i heard that o/c through windows is bad

Your temps are fine at 20%o/c voltage so you're not in danger.

Easiest thing to do is not to use the %o/c. Go back to stock settings, then start increasing your FSB. You might have to increase the CPU voltage a little on your way to 3G, or maybe you won't. I would leave other settings on auto and that will do to get you to 3G.

Lot of other tweaking you can do but we all started simple and that is simple.

Your temps are fine at 20%o/c voltage so you're not in danger.

Easiest thing to do is not to use the %o/c. Go back to stock settings, then start increasing your FSB. You might have to increase the CPU voltage a little on your way to 3G, or maybe you won't. I would leave other settings on auto and that will do to get you to 3G.

Lot of other tweaking you can do but we all started simple and that is simple.

yeah...i dont like to use the % thing cos i dont kow what its doing lol....i prefer to do everything manually. It makes it a lot easier when its not stable cos you can changes loads of things so see what the problem is.

It's setting your voltages too high. Just enter them manually, you'd get better control.

And try not to use AI Booster, its not advisable. :)

thanks all,,,
this will really make me sound like a newbie but i can not find where to raise the fsb in the bios, ive had socket 939 dfi boards and opty's so i do no what to look for but i can not phisicaly find the option on my striker bios , i can only find how to change the multiplier, any ideas

been a while since i been on here.
im kind of in the same boat.ive just got a striker and a E6850 but i cant seen to get mine to do anything realy.im on bios 1305 (had that out of the box)
to answer your question tho..
there is a way to mess with fsb in bios. its under extreme tweaker/then look for fsb-memory clock mode. but im not sure what to do here.i was trying mine by useing the booster tuning panel. but as i see above,this aint a good idea.
looks like this settup could be fun to work out.
my last one was so easy to oc. e6600 p5b deluxe @3.8 i was happy with that
but the striker has a totaly diff bios...doh

just so you no mine is a ASUS Striker ( not extreme ), my bios ( 0605 ) which is the latest for my board doesn't have that option in the bios , it has "extreme tweaker" but no " fsb-memory clock mode "
there must be a way to adjust the fsb in the bios somewhere ???

edit.

yes i do have that setting ,,,
i think im just hoping it would be like o/c an opty by just setting the fsb to 336 x 9 = 3ghz simple
but i can not find the number to adjust , i can see it in AI booster , it says 266 x 9 = 2.4 , i can raise the number in ai booster but in the bios the only number i can find is fsb-1066 , then it wants to know weather to have the mem/fsb linked or unlinked with different dividers.
i raised the 1066 to 1100 the booted and all sorts of alarms from pc probe set off beeping ??????????????????

Last edited:
aaah. i knew it was there somewhere.
i get blue screens or fail to boot if i touch any of mine.
whats that sound card like that came with the mb.. i got one of them but i got a fatal1ty in mine at the moe and i think it is causing a few probs

the FX audio card is ok , but i wish now that i kept my audigy 2 plat pro.
ive been looking through all other o/c sites for ways to o/c thai board and it shows people raising the fsb from 266 all the way up to 500 and so on but does not show how to do it ?????????:bang head:bang head
please some one please tell me what to do
how do i raise the 266 through the bios ????

OK, I'm only reading the manual so I've can't test this but think these are the correct steps.

1) enter bios
2) select Extreme Tweaker from menu
3) select AI Tuning
....set to manual
4) select FSB & Memory Config
5) select FSB-Memory Clock Mode
....set to unlinked
6) select FSB (QDR), Mhz
....type in the FSB speed you want - step it up slow, don't try to jump to your end result, some motherboards don't like big jumps but will work very in small steps to get there (don't ask why, I don't know)
7) select MEM (DDR), Mhz
....type in the memory speed you want, select the stock memory speed for now.
8) save changes and exit bios

Test for stability as you step up the FSB speed. Something like Prime95 is an excellent test.

Hopefully that gets you started. :santa2:

thanks deeppow
right i have figured it out,
ive set my fsb @ 1333 , mem/fsb unlinkedv, mem @ 850mhz.
no volts increse on anything
so now im running @ 3.00 ghz :) :)

i will let you no later or tomorrow how stable it is after ive done some stress testing.

Ya, the unlinked FSB-memory option is something I really like about the Nvidia chipsets. It lets you dial in each to get the max performance. But with the current C2D CPUs, memory tweaking doesn't provide huge payback, higher CPU speed is the biggest payback.

Happy overclocking. :beer:

right ive completed 6hrs of dual prime95 with no errors , temps never went over 47c then when i finished it went down to 31c :):) , so now im going to play for a bit and leave it testing overnight , :):):):)

right ive completed 12 hours prime95 and 5 hrs orthos with no errors ,:):)
im happy with that.
im going to go back to H2O cooling very soon so i will up it some more then .

thanks so much deeppow you have been a great help to me .

Back