• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enough Room for a Water Block and Tubing on a Dual Slot GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woz101

See title.

I currently have a dual-slot 640MB EVGA 8800GTS on an Asus P5K E WiFi board. The first PCI slot is already covered by the dual-slot GPU; the second PCI slot is occupied by the sound card; and the third is occupied by the TV tuner.

There is literally about 2 to 3 mm's between the dual-slot GPU and the sound card, which occupies the second PCI slot. My question is: is there enough room there for me to put a water block and some tubing on the GPU, with the sound card being so close to the GPU?

Of course, I will take off the stock heatsink/cooler from the GPU before I put the water block and tubing on.

Many thanks for your info in advance!

Often times the waterblock will actually be smaller than the dual-slot cooler.

The Swiftech MCW60 is almost certainly thin enough to fit.

Often times the waterblock will actually be smaller than the dual-slot cooler.

The Swiftech MCW60 is almost certainly thin enough to fit.

That's good to know!!:beer:

Wiping off the sweat!:)

I am thinking about switching to water cooling by the coming summer, when the weather starts to get hot.

So right now, I am just doing some preparation and looking around.

Thanks for the info!

Any CONTRARY views?:)

I realize that the water block itself is quite thin, but the barbs might stick out a bit. And the tubes will take some space as well. So you think I REALLY have sufficient space there to put a water block and some tubing?

Or am I worrying too much!!!:)

If in doubt, a maze4, while not the best performing block, comes in a low-profile model that I'm sure will fit.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Now I have a bit more info. When the worst comes to the worst, I think I might change to a different mobo, which has a better location for the PCI slots than the Asus P5K E WiFi. Or I could ditch my current PCI TV tuner(Hauppauge HVR1600) for a PCI E kind of a TV tuner(Hauppauge HVR 1800), and then move the sound card to the TV tuner's slot, which is the bottom slot. That way, there will be nothing blocking the tubing hanging from the GPU.

When I decide to go water, I absolutely want the best performing water blocks and other components! I don't want anything else in my system to comproimse my water cooling setup.

Or maybe, as I've said, all these worries I am having are just unnecessary!:)

Maybe, there IS sufficient space between the dual slot GPU and the sound card that is so close to it.

Thanks again for all the info!

Back