• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5K premium 16x PCIE slot running at 1x w/8800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mustanley

I dunno why it keeps dropping back to 1x. Sometimes it's at 16x and other times it's at 1x. It really cripples the 8800GT. I can reboot and sometimes it will be back at 16x and work fine, but then later I'll check (no reboot or anything) and it will be down to 1x again :bang head

I've tried reinstalling different forceware drivers, P35 chipset drivers, even upgraded to the latest 0404 bios, and it still is happening. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution, or have ther suggestions?

oh yeah, I'm running Vista x64.
Thanks

I dunno why it keeps dropping back to 1x. Sometimes it's at 16x and other times it's at 1x. It really cripples the 8800GT. I can reboot and sometimes it will be back at 16x and work fine, but then later I'll check (no reboot or anything) and it will be down to 1x again :bang head

I've tried reinstalling different forceware drivers, P35 chipset drivers, even upgraded to the latest 0404 bios, and it still is happening. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution, or have ther suggestions?

oh yeah, I'm running Vista x64.
Thanks

Ram timings are set correctly? Maybe overclocking you set PCI-E frequency to something weird?

And whats your power supply?

PSU is a Silverstone 650W.

I've tried setting the PCIE freq to 100 and 101 and it doesn't help

I see Vista.

Do you have the power settings set to "High Performance"? I know my laptop slows WAY down when it isn't in that mode.

btw saw your unning it at 777 core. Did you volt mod? The PCI-Elane might not be able to handle it idk.

Nope, just aftermarket cooling. And I really only bench at that speed, normally I run 756/1890/950.

Nope, just aftermarket cooling. And I really only bench at that speed, normally I run 756/1890/950.

Nice not to get off topic but what speeds could you get wihtout the after market cooler im running 700 core but im trying to get it 730ish. XFX

Ummhave you tried a different PCi-E16X lane? Idk if you have a different one but its a wroth a try.

Max I could bench 3dm06 at was 740 core and 945 on the memory on the factory hsf with the fan at 100%

There is a 2nd PCIE 16x slot on this board but swapping is gonna be a pain what with the giant hsf with 2x120mm fans on it, plus a PCI tv card to move around. The tubing going to the cpu block is blocking all of it too.

Gonna try upping the southbridge voltage since I read some have luck fixing the same issue on a previous Asus board.

has nothing to do with the OS, you need to adjust mobo voltages....

alot of asus mobos do this all the way back to the 965

So far nothing I've changed in the BIOS seems to make a difference. The only way to get it start up at 16X speed is to shut the machine down cold and then start it back up. After a warm reboot it's back at 1X again.

Thanks for the link reboot, too bad I don't have that setting in the BIOS. If nothing else, I'm glad I figured out why my framerate was so bad, and also how to get it back to 16X temporarily. If anyone else has any ideas for a permanent fix I'd love to hear it. I tried all NB voltage options and none solved it. :(

I had this problem.

Adjust the FSB 1mhz up incrementally. If that doesn't work try the PCIe, increment that, I've had mine as high as 115 w/ no problems, have no clue how much higher it can go, I've never had any problems at any number with it.

I just forget which one I did to fix it, I'll try searching for the thread.

btw, P5K Premium here as well, heh.

EDIT: Found it, hope this helps, sounds like you are getting the same issue I was getting, I wouldn't be worried at all.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5233856#post5233856

Last edited:
Yep same issue. I've tried FSB of 411 and 413, and PCIE freq. of 100 and 101 so far, which hasn't fixed it. PCIE Spead Spectrum didn't appear to make a difference. I'll try some other FSB/PCIE combinations. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Mav. :beer:

Yep same issue. I've tried FSB of 411 and 413, and PCIE freq. of 100 and 101 so far, which hasn't fixed it. PCIE Spead Spectrum didn't appear to make a difference. I'll try some other FSB/PCIE combinations. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Mav. :beer:

Just keep trying more combinations, what you listed is barely anything :p.

Looks like you should concentrate on the FSB and not the PCIe freq.

I think I was running 400 and went all the way up to 405, so I had a delta of 5mhz.

It's just a glitch with the combinations in the mobo, nothing major.

try pushing pci-e frequency higher than 101, have seen pps go up to 112 to get rid of the x1 issue. PCI-E is ok up to about 120 after which HD corruption can occur.

Back