• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help - New to Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snowpunk857

I am in the middle of installing my first Intel setup after using AMD forever. At the top of the motherboard, near the CPU, there is a plug for a power cable from the PSU. It is square with 4 holes. My AMD boards all had this as well, and my old PSU had a cable that was the right size that I plugged in there, but my new PSU (n-spire) doesn't have this cable.

What is the purpose of this plug on the motherboard? Do all power supplies come with this cable? Does this plug on the mobo absolutely have to have power going to it? I'm assuming that this plug is powering the CPU?

As I said, my old CPU had this cable, but it did not have a 24-pin power cable, it was only 20, and so 4 spots would be empty when plugged in. Since this new PSU has all 24 pins does that mean the other 4 pins near the CPU can be left empty?

I hope this made since, I know I didn't use the correct terminology!

most intel motherboards need a 24 pin connector to power the motherboard.

Yes you need that 4pin because that powers the CPU.

most intel motherboards need a 24 pin connector to power the motherboard.

Yes you need that 4pin because that powers the CPU.

Then why would a power supply not come with that 4-pin connector? It doesn't make sense to me. By the way, I looked closer on my mobo and it says "ATX 12V" next to the 4-pin plug so there isn't any confusion to the one I'm talking about.

the 24pin connector came down from server boards. it does nothing in the way of stability to the system, in home use. there is a P4 connector that has been required to be plugged in for the intel boards to work. that P4 connector is the one that supplies the cpu with power.

no all psu's have 24pin main atx connector, many do though. it will be rare to get one that doesnt have it though.

the 24pin connector came down from server boards. it does nothing in the way of stability to the system, in home use. there is a P4 connector that has been required to be plugged in for the intel boards to work. that P4 connector is the one that supplies the cpu with power.

no all psu's have 24pin main atx connector, many do though. it will be rare to get one that doesnt have it though.

So why on earth would a PSU not come with a 12V 4-pin cable? Will my system even start up without it?

your talking about this right? i'm not sure why a newer psu wouldn't have that or even a 8 pin plug. i would sell/return said psu that doesn't have it and get a new one or use the old one.

i doubt your talking about this connector so i won't say anything towards that.

So why on earth would a PSU not come with a 12V 4-pin cable? Will my system even start up without it?
im not sure which one your even talking about at this point.. could you look at the pics he posted and point out which one is missin?

your talking about this right? i'm not sure why a newer psu wouldn't have that or even a 8 pin plug. i would sell/return said psu that doesn't have it and get a new one or use the old one.

i doubt your talking about this connector so i won't say anything towards that.

right the first pic is the standard P4 connector, that has to be plugged in for the board to even power up. since that is suppling the cpu with power from the 12v rail.

the second pic with the extra 4pins is not needed on alot of boards. not really sure why they say its needed. i ran both my Abit AB9-pro and IP35-pro without that extra 4pin on the main 20/24pin main ATX connector. there was no difference in ocing or stability.

Back