• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can this be done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[ShowMe!]

Registered
Can I use two pumps in a row, or get two pumps and put a and use a Y connector I could have higher pressure and faster flow?

The reason Im asking this is because I trying to do an external water cooling set up and I will have alot of pipes and the water will have to travel alot of distance.

Will two pumps work and what is the best way to set them up?

I have two LAING D5/SWIFTECH MCP655 12 VDC SEALLESS LEAKPROOF WATER PUMP W/ FLOW CONTROL pumps?

if i where to put two pumps in the same loop i would put them the same distance of tubing between them.

E.G. Pump1>rad>cpu>n/b>pump>rad>gpu>gpu>s/b>res.
(not sure if thats what your going to cool but i mean to have the same distance of tubing between the two pumps and not one right after the other)

Or

i would have a 4 port res and have 1 pump for the long distance of tubing for the rad, like this (RAD>PUMP>RES) then have what ever blocks your going to have in a loop getting the cooled water from the res.

i'm not sure how that would cool but thats all i can think of atm.

otherwise i would have two seperate loops (2 rads)

The amount of tubing between the pumps does not matter. Each pump will deliver a given amount of flow relative to pressure. Adding a 2nd pump will only increase that ratio minus the sum total of resistance whether it be from WB's, fittings, or tubing wall friction.

Unless you have some thing to relieve it two pumps in series can cause a pressure differential; one moving more water and one moving less. This can cause problems in the line by having too much or too little pressure.

I'd agree with Spawn-Inc's final comment;
i would have two seperate loops (2 rads)

Out of curiosity, have you tried mocking them up in series and in parallel and seeing which results in greater pressure/further water shooting?

First off, how much tubing are we talking about here? It may not even really be necessary to run two 655 pumps.

Also when setting up your box that the more tubing you have the more it will affect your performance. Do mockup setting and see if you can cut on tubing length I think you will see a significant results and keep in mind that loop lenght will have greater impact on temp then component order. if you can cut a foot by not doing the optimal order you will see a greater temp decrease.

Last time I redid my loop I gained about 2C from cutting tubing over optimal setup and also cut by 25% the volume of water in my PC(good thing in my mind as if something goes wrong there's less of a mess to cleanup).

I have many different water pumps I was just wondering if any one knew anything about using pumps in sequential mode? ( Same type of pump, at the same rate of flow )

Was just wondering if it would put any type of load on one of the pumps or would it put less load on both of them...

Was just wondering if anyone knew...

When I tested my two pumps , they did not seem to pump water any faster, the water just had more pressure to when they wore inline...

Any one tried any two pumps setups, know any long term effects? Anything I shuild know that you know...

Basically, pumps in series increase the head pressure, pumps in parrallel increase flow rate.

I personally would go for seperate loops.

but a pump thats off has very little resistance to back flow, so most of the water the other parallel pump pumps will go trought the dead pump without cooling anything (except the smoking pump electronics maybe)
therefore, series is better (if for redundancy reasons)

you still get more or less the same effect in parrallel.

But besides the point, if you are goin gto use two pumps, go with two loops. Even the same two models of pumps can have slightly different flow rates/head pressures and you can adverselly effect one or mor eo fthe pumps through a pressure differential.

Back