• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

colt1911

Registered
Since Nvidia and Intel can't seem to work out their problems and I'm about to build a new system. I have decided to forget about CF and SLI and drop back to a single card ( G92 8800GTS ) and one of these boards (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813128066,N82E16813131227,N82E16813127033 ) . Can I have some opinions please? Or would you suggest a P35 board instead. I will be running the Q9450 when it comes out.

Hi colt ... i'm very pleasent with my 2 abit board ... i use both p35 and x38 chipset these 2 board relly look awesome ... great design and very easy to o/c .. imo i will go the x38 way ... with abit ... i know poor bundel with ix38 quad gt but it's a low cost motherboard for a x38 ... i overclock it at 400 fsb right of the box every setting at auto ... so . will make some more o/c experiment in the next day to find how far i can go ...

Well both the Abit and Asus you note have gotten generally poor reviews. Main opinion has been that the boards will become much better as the bios are revised. And very poor bundle on the Abit as stdu007 noted. I don't know about the gigabyte.

I'm running the Asus P5E that is doing well and is a reasonable price too. Bios are in quite reasonable shape and board clocks well. But all the X38 boards will probably mature as time passes.

That IX38 Quad GT that he has is an awesome board. But you're gonna have to wait for Abit to iron out the buggy bioses. For now I would just get an IP35 Pro. The board is an excellent oveclocker and very stable. Tried and tested by a lot of people here on OCF. :)

So basically your saying that the X38 boards have not matured yet and are not that stable. Would I lose much by going with the P35 chipset? How are these boards ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813128050,N82E16813131190&page=2&bop=And ) I like the layout of the Sata ports on the Gigabyte and Asus best but what do you guys think ? I don't trust the reviews on Newegg. I rather hear it from from people I trust here on the forum because I don't think you'd steer me wrong. Thanks for all your help.

The only thing's i don t like from asus and gigabyte .. it's they don t use 90 degres sata port ... and no debug light ... so i will go with dfi ... well know for the excellent bios tweaking for the overclocker ...

OP if you forget about CF/SLI then why choose X38 which is a board i would only suggest for someone wanting CF. P35's oc just as well as X38 and can handle any single highend card you put in it.

if you realy want X38 i would say abit but wait for better bios's first. other wise nab a IP35,IP35-pro from abit or gigabyte P35-S3l,P35-s3,P35-ds3l,p35-ds3,p35-ds3r.

Sorry I got you confused. I didnt mean that all X38 boards arent matured yet, just the IX38 Quad that the other guy suggested.

To answer your question, clock for clock the P35 and X38 performs just about the same. Unless you're going DDR3 and CF then its a different story. :)

Sorry I got you confused. I didnt mean that all X38 boards arent matured yet, just the IX38 Quad that the other guy suggested.

To answer your question, clock for clock the P35 and X38 performs just about the same. Unless you're going DDR3 and CF then its a different story. :)

surfin from the iPhone agian? :p

Well after looking things over it's gonna be either the IP35 Pro or the IX38 Quad Gt. I might try CF once I learn a little more about Ati cards and their drivers. I'm researching that now, mainly because I never used them always had Nvidia.Thanks guys you've been a great help as usual.

if you have the money and dont mind buying the x38 chipset for the price, thats def your best way to go...the asus formula would be my choice...but i cant seem to want to buy a board thats only going to last a year before intel releases the new socket....but then again if money aint a problem and you dont mind being restricted in a year go with the formula...if you would like to get buy until this next year is through...go with a decent p35 board

Back