• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Air in Radiator? : Never watercooled before

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gckw

Hi,

I'm contemplating starting a watercooling rig. I've read alot and did research, and I have a question on a certain configuration I saw:

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/7984/img1101sf5.jpg

On the top radiator, how do people keep air out of it? I mean, I presume some air will get into the system eventually thus the need of some reservoir....and air will flow to the top, and if radiator is the top most item with the barbs facing bottom side...how can you get the air out without flipping the case 180°? Thanks

Yes, a top mounted radiator is a PITA to bleed. I know b.c I did it on my system. With it being the highest point in the loop that is where the air will collect. the only way to make sure it is all out is to rotate the case, but even the the air pockets just tend to move. My suggestion is to mount it like a few others here have done with the fittings facing up so that the air will be easily pushed out of it.

what is the best setup for a water cooled system? Resevoir up high, or low? Rad High or Low in the case? pump positioning?

The best setup is reservoir at the highest point in the case, although IMO it's not that big a deal, once you've bled the loop then air wont collect.

When you first install the rig, you're supposed to run it without any computing components to get the air out and make sure there are no leaks. During this period you can tilt the radiator to get any air bubbles out, leaving everything bubble free when you put it all together.

When you first install the rig, you're supposed to run it without any computing components to get the air out and make sure there are no leaks. During this period you can tilt the radiator to get any air bubbles out, leaving everything bubble free when you put it all together.

I personally never do this. I put everything together the way it is going to be in the case and then leaktest. As long as there is no power to the components, a leak isn't going to do a thing. I normally leaktest with air anyway so it doesn't matter. Plus, what do you do the next time you need to drain your loop for whatever reason? You need to place your res/t-line so that you can fill/bleed the loop as easily as possible.

Often the only viable place to mount a triple rad is on top due to case designs. That is how mine is mounted. I setup my loop so that the reservoir immediately follows the rad in the loop so that any air from the rad exits right into the res. When initially filling, I just set the case on its side and the air works out of the rad very quickly. This however can become more of a pain when using a t-line or a res that is not so ideally placed and may call for some case gymnastics to accomplish.

Ideally you would mount a rad either on the bottom horizontally with the barbs up, or vertically.

Last edited:
Back