• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI P965 platinum overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paknik

Hi all

About a year ago i bought a p965 platinum mb and an E6700 proc.
I managed to get the FSB stable at 345mhz.Prime ok , temps ok

When i just increase to 350 i have blue screen when running prime95 but windows boot successfully.

Here are the settings for the 345 fsb.

Fsb freq = 345

Multipl = 10 (cannot change)

Vcore = +0.162 (1.44v as reported on bios)

memory selection DDR-1066 now 11xx cannot remember exact value but memtest is stable on 5-5-5-12

NBv = 1.59
Chipset 1 = 4% (dont know what is it)
Chipset 2 = 4% (dont know what is it)

PCI-e freq = 100

Spread spectrum and EIST disabled

I want desperately to go at 350 or 360 without increasing the vcore no more.
For going from 345 to 350 to get a stable o/c i must increase volt to 1.53.

I tried increase NBv , chipset 1 & 2 v and run ddr-800 but no luck.:bang head

Any suggestions what to do? Raising PCI-e freq could help??

set your pcie speed to 101 up your NB voltage some more as well. set the memory to run on a 1:1 so that fsb x2 = ram speed. that way you can figure out if its the ram or the board causing the BSOD. i dont recall ever reading good things about that board and ocing...

I dont think its a memory problem because the memtest would fail.
I tried memtest 2 full tests on 3500ghz and passed without errors.

I will try raising the pci-e to 101 and test.

I raised the vcore , the nbv and the chipset 1 and 2 voltage but i get bsod when running prime95.

Any ideas what is chipset 1 and 2 ?

not a clue...try your ram in the other set of slots would ya? if its still doing that then im starting to think the chipset might be overheating... do you have a small fan to point at it,the NB i mean?

First thing i did was to put an 60mm fan to the northbridge.
Do you think changing the slots might help?will i still have dual channel?

The strange thing is that memtest86 presents no errors on 3500g

you have 4 dimm slots so yes if you use the other set you still have dual channel. some times using the other set of dimm slots helps... what im tring to help do though is rule out some minor glitches that do happen when ocing... as is your ram is ok, your cpu is ok,your psu is ok, that leaves me with the motherboard being the issue now... just want to make sure before i say so...

*edit*
if you want to get more out of the parts you have now... sell just the motherboard then replace is with any one of these if you can.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127031
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136038

cant go wrong with those at/around the $100 mark. there a are some i left out mainly cause they lack 4phase pwm for future upgrading to a quad core.

Last edited:
Thank you evil for the search , but i want to overclock with this at the moment.

So..anyone that overclocked something with this??:confused:

All i am asking is 50mhz!!!!

First thing i did. 1.7ver.
Forgot to tell you...with little vcore up ,nbv and pci-e freq , as you said ,prime lasted for couple of minutes before bsod.

Anyone with this mb??

Last edited:
Thanks man but i was lost in there.

Anyone tried this?

A new 1.8 ver of bios is available.

Do you think it could expand fsb limit?

Back