• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which SLI board for this rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wallboy

Registered
I have most of my parts picked out except the mobo. Q6600, 8800GT's in SLI, 4GB RAM, etc. I was wondering if their are any decent boards out there in the $150 range? I'm probably gonna do a little bit of overclocking, but nothing too extreme. Thanks.

650i is your only choice for that cheap.. dont expect much ocing though on a quad, your better off clocking a dual core.

Really? So would a Q6600 struggle to reach even 3.0GHz with a 650i board? Whats the most affordable 680i board out there that has decent overclocking capability?

Edit:: I can get eVga 680i LT T1 for about $140 after rebates. That a good deal for this board?

Last edited:
780i is right around the corner, just wait it out. My new EVGA 680i Lt SUCKS. I will enjoy smashing it when its replaced.

Seems to be always something around the corner to wait for in the computer world. One would never end up buying anything with that sort of mindset lol. :santa:

I have the EVGA 680i A1 and I love the board but once the 780i comes I out I plan to replace it. And from what I have seen the 680i LT's suck. But if I were you I would wait it out. No point in buying the LT model in my opinion.

the abit in9 max it 219 but has a 100 mir....thats not bad at all for a 680i mobo...its loaded with features as well...wouldnt be a bad buy...if u have to have it now...i'd def go with the in9 max from newegg with the 100 mir....

the XFX ISH9 is $205 from zipzoomfly, has a $30 mail-in rebate, and comes with Lost Planet. If you figure the game is worth $25 to you, then that's $150. that's the way I rationalized it anyway lol

I can't tell you anything about the board as I haven't built my new system yet. check this post at XS for someone's opinion on the board

I would avoid the Abit board. A friend of mine has it, and because of the crappy BIOS, he cannot push the system further than 350.

I read on some other forum someone saying the 780i's wont be able to run quad core 45nm penryns.

ummm i thought the new duals and quads that are 45nm based BOTH will run on the 780i because the new processors that are 45nm all have the more efficient leads that have more conductivity. therefore if one works the other should have to work with it... correct me if i am wrong...

ok so no 45nm quad support till 790i, this just keeps getting worse and worse.

After doing a lot of research it seems a lot of these 680i boards are hit and miss for overclocking. I might scrap the 8800GT's idea and switch to HD 3870 crossfire. When in crossfire they seem to scale better then the GT's from all the benches I've seen. Now I have the question whether to go P35 or spend the extra premium for an X38 with dual x16 PCI-E slots. :beer:

Back