• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WB For 8800GT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfather1138

What do you guys think would be the best block for the 8800GT? Maze5? MCw60? Is there a full coverage block for them yet? Just trying to get an idea how to add these to my loop when I get them.

I think the best option is still the MCW60 with ramsinks as it can be ported to other cards. For a full cover block, I would buy the EK-FC88 GT Acetal from ekwaterblocks.com. He makes some of the best quality blocks you can buy. His blocks are about the same price as the AquagraFX but are much better as far as design goes.

I'd go with a GPU only block with passive ram sinks. Peopel seem ot have lots of issues with their full coverage blocks.

MCW60, Danger Den maze 4 or Maze 5 are probably most popular. Dtek has a good one too (fuzion??)

The annoying thing about asking a public question is everyone always gives you "their opinion" based on their experiences. And its nearly 100% of the time always biased. To be honest if you go for any full cover waterblock with a copper base, and lap it im almost certain that the difference in performance/temperature between that and another will be very miniscule indeed. I like the aquagrfx block because its all copper and comes with a plexiglass top.

I thought plexi in a loop was bad. Something about it breaking down over time and cracking? And I don't mind the opinions, I expect them.

Most of us here aren't fans of using acrylic or Plexi tops in blocks. There have been MANY discussions regarding these. One of the main concernes is that these types of blocks can be cracked pretty easily if you use metal barbs. In the process of tightening the barbs, you apply stress, which in turn can cause it to crack, or in some cases may wear the threads down and not created a good seal on the barb, resulting in leaks.

That's not to say this happens with all acrylic/plexi topped blocks, or that blocks using this material are crap. Just be forwarned, that special care shoudl be taken with them, and plastic barbs would be recomended.

That being said, When it coimes to GPU blocks, honestly, just pic one you think looks cool (form a good manufacturer). When it comes down to it, the difference in performance bettwen any of the blocks out there will be nominal at best.

I personally, am not a fan of the full coverage blocks. They typically aren't portable to another card. So that block will probably only work with that one card. If yo uwant to "future" proff yourself, the GPU only blocks are the way to go. They cna be used on different cards, so in a year or two, you can use that block again on yor next card (most likely, unless NVIDIA comes up with some whacked out new hold down scheme).

The full coverage blocks are also pretty big, and don't always make good connections to the ram. IMO yo are better off passive cooling the ram, and going the GPU only route.

Back