• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compusa goes under

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I just saw that Compusa is going to close all stores. Apparently TigerDirect might get some of the stores.

They blame competition for Compusa going under, which I suppose is true, but for me it was always the long and slow lines to pay. Never enough cashiers. I like low prices of course, but wasting my time was always an issue there. They closed my Compusa a few months back so I haven't bought from them lately, but it was nice that a big store was nearby. More business for Newegg.

I was annoyed when they closed the Compusa near where i work. It was nice and easy to go there during lunch if I needed something simple or a game.

Sure there is a Best buy not to far away but they hardly carry anything near the amount that Compusa did.

If anything they are going under due to poor management.

Edit: Though there is a small part of me that sees justice in them going under since they drove Egghead software out of business when i was working there :)

I work at compusa atm and ya in the past few months we have just done less and less sales. Basically the main focus of the store is that we sell the "Best PC's in town" type of deal.

But you can go anywhere and get a pc for cheaper now a days. I guess its a matter or management and sales combined that let it go under. It was nice to go in a pick up a fan or a few parts that I needed in a quick trip. Oh well, once they go under I get to collect for a little... lol

Hmm I just bought some memory with a $40 rebate there. Didn't send it in yet. I better get crackin'.

I predict Circuit City will be next.

Circuit City should've been buried a long time ago. They must be bankrolled by SOMEBODY. All of Best Buy's other direct competitors are already out of business.

Maybe their car audio business is doing really well? Who knows...

Best Buy is a steamroller, isn't it? The competition just gets run over. They're like the CE equivalent of Wally World, only with high prices instead of low ones.

I dunno how Circuit City has stayed in the game this long either, but some cracks are starting to show. 2007 saw 3 of the top 6 executives leave, they laid off 3,400 employees (their highest paid / best salesmen), closed ~7 superstores in the US and ~50 stores in Canada. They got out of the appliance business. They are definitely on the CompUSA path to extinction.

I wouldn't miss CompUSSR or Circuit City. In the long term I would be up sleepless at night as Best Buy's prices got worse because there was no B&M competition. But maybe what we're seeing is the results of electronics being purchased so easily online. Why buy a laptop at full retail when eBay or Dell or... has it for 30% less?

I dunno Fry's Electronics is raping CompUSA, Circuit City, and Best Buy over here. None of them stand a chance.

-Alex-

I dunno what you guys are talking about. The Circuit City near me is hands down better than the Best Buy. Nine out of ten times their DVDs are cheaper than Best Buy too. CC usually has their harddrives for sale more often or just plain cheaper.

This started at the beginning of the year roughly. New Jersey's stores are long gone...and we already got 1 MicroCenter up. Hoping for more.

Best Buy is a steamroller, isn't it? The competition just gets run over. They're like the CE equivalent of Wally World, only with high prices instead of low ones.

I dunno how Circuit City has stayed in the game this long either, but some cracks are starting to show. 2007 saw 3 of the top 6 executives leave, they laid off 3,400 employees (their highest paid / best salesmen), closed ~7 superstores .

Yeah. One of those stores was the store nearest me. Admittedly... they never had a chance. Or they would've if they'd stayed open another 6 months. Because now there's a Walmart and a Target in the area and property values are up and they could've made a killing.

They should've taken a play from my book and bought the land cheap and help onto it. Even with a skeleton crew they could've made at least three million dollars straight profit WITHOUT selling anything.

I dunno Fry's Electronics is raping CompUSA, Circuit City, and Best Buy over here. None of them stand a chance.

-Alex-

Yeah. THat's where YOU are. You must live in an interesting place. We've got one Frys in the entire state of Illinois as far as I know. And it's so far away... and gas prices are so high... it would completely defeat the purpose of going there.

Yeah. One of those stores was the store nearest me. Admittedly... they never had a chance. Or they would've if they'd stayed open another 6 months. Because now there's a Walmart and a Target in the area and property values are up and they could've made a killing.

They should've taken a play from my book and bought the land cheap and help onto it. Even with a skeleton crew they could've made at least three million dollars straight profit WITHOUT selling anything.

Yeah. THat's where YOU are. You must live in an interesting place. We've got one Frys in the entire state of Illinois as far as I know. And it's so far away... and gas prices are so high... it would completely defeat the purpose of going there.

We don't even have a frys anywhere around here...

Looks like its back to online shopping for computer parts if BB does not have what I am looking for :bang head

I just saw that Compusa is going to close all stores. Apparently TigerDirect might get some of the stores.

They blame competition for Compusa going under, which I suppose is true, but for me it was always the long and slow lines to pay. Never enough cashiers. I like low prices of course, but wasting my time was always an issue there. They closed my Compusa a few months back so I haven't bought from them lately, but it was nice that a big store was nearby. More business for Newegg.

They closed mine during the last shutdowns as well. I like them simply because they had a decent computer component selection, unlike BB only having only having one or two things.

What they need near me is a Fry's :)

Hmmm, I'll be sorry to see it go. The compusa around here was, while never the best, always nice to have.

The CC here tends to be heavily overpriced, annoyingly loud (head rings after walking out), and not well stocked on the good stuff.

I've never been in a CompUSA ever because I am stuck between 2 Fry's electronics (Burbank and Canoga Park) :D.

Interesting to hear they are going out of business though. I find myself buying most of my components online now and only small things like fans and thermal paste that don't warrant paying for shipping at Fry's. I doubt they will be going down any time soon considering how many footholds they have in the electronics industry but it would be bad if they did.

I used to shop at CompUSA all the time, but their prices kinda threw it out the window for me, not that Bestbuy is any better. I hope Fry's moves to my town. I went to one in California and I liked it.

Back