• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5k Premium WARNING

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WildMonkey

DO NOT use the windows based application to flash your BIOS!

It will destroy your CMOS and you will not be able to do anything but RMA it.

Just happened to me and even the RMA lady said that they were getting many of these types of returns.

The tech support guy said that the BIOS is integrated with the northbridge and can't be fixed unless you RMA it.

I don't know if integrated flash tool in the BIOS works, but I'll never try again.

DO NOT use the windows based application to flash your BIOS!

It will destroy your CMOS and you will not be able to do anything but RMA it.

Just happened to me and even the RMA lady said that they were getting many of these types of returns.

The tech support guy said that the BIOS is integrated with the northbridge and can't be fixed unless you RMA it.

I don't know if integrated flash tool in the BIOS works, but I'll never try again.
Sounds like it had a bad BIOS chip...or you were overclocked ;)

I've done flashing from Windows MANY times without any issues...

Sounds like it had a bad BIOS chip...or you were overclocked ;)

I've done flashing from Windows MANY times without any issues...

No. I just got it and was doing driver updates and saw the new bios on their website so I used their automatic update. It said that it failed and everything was fine until I rebooted.

It just kept powering up and down without posting.

As thideras, I've successfully used it many times. Must have been somethings else going on. Try powering it off for awhile, every once in a while my ASUS gets weird and won't start.

Sorry about your problems, hang in there. :beer:

No. I just got it and was doing driver updates and saw the new bios on their website so I used their automatic update. It said that it failed and everything was fine until I rebooted.

It just kept powering up and down without posting.
Then there was something wrong with the board. I had an Abit AW9D-MAX that did that, it was a faulty BIOS chip as I couldn't reflash it at all. I tried hot swapping the stupid thing and NOTHING would fix it.

Ordered a new one and had flashed it atleast 3-5 times when I had that board.

If it didn't work, then they would discontinue the program instead of fixing EVERY board that came in bad. What you and I had is a one time problem.

You had it fail once. If you had it fail on 5 motherboard...then there is an issue. It would be like me saying "well...it BSOD'd once after it was stable, I'll never buy intel again".

Then there was something wrong with the board. I had an Abit AW9D-MAX that did that, it was a faulty BIOS chip as I couldn't reflash it at all. I tried hot swapping the stupid thing and NOTHING would fix it.

Ordered a new one and had flashed it atleast 3-5 times when I had that board.

If it didn't work, then they would discontinue the program instead of fixing EVERY board that came in bad. What you and I had is a one time problem.

You had it fail once. If you had it fail on 5 motherboard...then there is an issue. It would be like me saying "well...it BSOD'd once after it was stable, I'll never buy intel again".

As I said, the tech guy, and RMA lady were well versed with this problem. They probably turned out a faulty batch.

I did nothing but run the stupid app. No OC, no tweaking of any kind. The stupid thing ran for about 5 hours before I flashed it.

Could that be the PSU? I suspect the PSU when you talk about it powering on and off.

That may be a sign of an overloaded PSU or bad PSU.

As I said, the tech guy, and RMA lady were well versed with this problem. They probably turned out a faulty batch.

I did nothing but run the stupid app. No OC, no tweaking of any kind. The stupid thing ran for about 5 hours before I flashed it.
Ok, so it wasn't overclocked ;)

You are missing my point. They wouldn't distribute the program if it failed even on a low number of boards, it costs them money. It was a fluke.

Could that be the PSU? I suspect the PSU when you talk about it powering on and off.

That may be a sign of an overloaded PSU or bad PSU.

no, for one there was NO POST, nothing! Wouldn't stay powered for 1 sec.

Second, I'm currently writing this post to you with that same PSU.

ASUS has recognized an issue with ASUS Update flashes on a number of their motherboards...looks mostly P35 effected (P5K, Maximus Formula etc...) but their forum is sooooo slow right now i can't see if others are affected:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...del=P5K+Deluxe/WiFi-AP&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

so perhaps you can tone down the sarcasm and stuff your "i know everything" comments because "I've done flashing from Windows MANY times without any issues..." in a drawer for someone else who deserves it because the OP is right on point.

@op...thanks for the heads up and hopefully others see this post before they flash :thup:

**edit**perhaps a mod wants to clean this thread up a bit and sticky it for a while as it seems to be pretty widespread affecting a lot of motherboards seen in use here.

Last edited:
WOW, now our count is up to 4!!! :eek:

The failures that have happened take up how much percent of total boards made? I'd be surprised if it was 0.1%.

I seriously doubt that. I'm guessing it's the windows flash tool under vista 64. Seems to be the most common theme among the posters with the same problem.

So YES they can very well ship out a program that will ruin a board. Not intentionally though.

**edit**perhaps a mod wants to clean this thread up a bit and sticky it for a while as it seems to be pretty widespread affecting a lot of motherboards seen in use here.

That's a great idea, I roam this board frequently and no one has posted any type of warning.

It's never advisable to flash on the windows environment. Alot of things could happen, program crashes, unstable oc, etc etc.

I'm not saying that it doesnt work, I used it a couple of times but if theres a way to avoid it do so. Because in the DOS environment the only thing you should be worried about is a power shortage.

Well not entirely, theres also a bad floppy or USB drive. :beer:

no, for one there was NO POST, nothing! Wouldn't stay powered for 1 sec.

Second, I'm currently writing this post to you with that same PSU.

But, does it power down? If if does, that sounds like the PSU or something on the motherboard.
Bad caps or bad MOSFETs can cause this.

But, does it power down? If if does, that sounds like the PSU or something on the motherboard.
Bad caps or bad MOSFETs can cause this.
Yes, but having it happen directly after a failed BIOS update? Not likely ;)

Back